SWAP: 60hz Lyrec Motor SM8/3A for 50hz Lyrec Motor

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Re: SWAP: 60hz Lyrec Motor SM8/3A for 50hz Lyrec Motor

Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:27 pm

Or you can cut the supplied audio for an unequivocal log of the drift per rotation. Which is of concern to me, your mileage may vary. Any appreciable inconsistency causes issues in the visual representation. In the case of speeding up or slowing down the image shows a distinct radial stretching distortion. In the case of both speeding up and slowing down or fluttering, the image does not look clear and precise. It will also tend to have some aliasing or rough looking lines. But mostly, it looks like an s shaped distortion.

So if I'm a DJ and I am playing music that has inherent fluctuations in speed due to the inconsistency of the platter motor used to cut the record, then I'm always going to be having to tweak the pitch on the turntable when doing blends. Much more so then I would with a record that's cut stably. I typically hold a blend for up to 3 minutes. So, long term drift is important to dj's. To say doesn't matter ignores one of the largest audiences for vinyl records, which are DJs.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

gold

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:27 am

I meant that W+F is not a useful metric for long term drift. It is meant to describe the behavior of one device. Not how two devices interface together. In pro audio speak, getting turntables to play together would be a synchronization issue. Since it is impossible to lock two turntables together with repeatable accuracy it was never a concern to designers. The example of a DJ is "off label use". Important for that but unimportant for normal listening.

Greg Reierson

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:21 pm

I haven't tired it yet but I'm wondering, how much does the pitch motor stability affect the result?
Greg Reierson
http://www.RareFormMastering.com
VMS70 :: SAL74B :: SX74

gold

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Greg Reierson wrote:I haven't tired it yet but I'm wondering, how much does the pitch motor stability affect the result?
That's a good point. The straight line test doesn't isolate the turntable from the pitch motor. So the instability could one or the other or both.

tubefan

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:55 pm

On the 66 and 70 the pitch motor has DC tachogenerator feedback, so it seems like there wouldn't be much 60Hz there unless something's broken... The Lyrec has no such assistance...

opcode66

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:15 pm

The instability of the pitch motor results in a compression or stretching of the image. It doesn't create the raidial effects like the platter motor. It is actually considerably less of an issue than the accuracy of the platter motor from a visual perspective baecause each revolution of the platter is still in line even if the spacing of each revolution isn't.

Long term stabiltiy of pitch is something I'm interested in. It may not be a goal of all cutters. If you would like to see how much your platter motor drifts over time (as much or as little time as you wish) please try cutting my cross test.

Audio that will create a straight line going from the outer diameter to the inner diameter will always create a straight line no matter how instable the pitch motor is (assuming the platter motor is 100% stable). How filled in the line will appear is a direct result of the stability of the pitch motor. It will just simply look more or less filled in depending on the accuracy of the pitch. But as long as the audio is timed appropriately and the motor speed is accurate, the line will always appear straight. Regardless of pitch. Boom!
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

EmAtChapterV

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:47 am

Back before Opcode66 made the Groove Graphics program, I used to plug a digital metronome into the cutting amp, set to 3/4 time at 100 beats per minute. I never did get it quite right on the Rek-O-Kut though, with the idler drive it was always a little fraction of a percent fast or slow, depending on how deep the groove was and how close to the center the cut was. :roll: