Al Grundy parts/treasure trove

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Bonati

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Neumann AM132b lathe + tons of spare parts. No head, no rack. $5,000.

This was the last Neumann system that Al had. Unfortunately he passed away before we started to work on it. We were just finishing the last VMS70 and getting ready to start on the 132. Only some very general clean up work has been done.

Good news: The bones of the lathe are good. The turntable system & motor are in good shape. The exterior paint of the depth panel is rough but the electronics are quite clean. Functioning microscope. Tons of spare parts for almost every major component - pitch box, lathe electronics, suspension box, switches, lamp housings, etc. Doubles of almost everything.

Bad news: Obviously needs a lot of work to be a complete system. Cosmetically rough, some oxidation of metal parts. One pitch box has broken switches (we have replacements) that will need to be installed. Plenty of patient engineering work to do to bring it back into health. Every pot/switch will need to be investigated & checked. Plenty of old electrical components will possibly need to be replaced. It's a project.

This should tell you most of what you need to know:

Not pictured yet - suspension boxes for cutterhead (x2) and boxes of spare parts. We have documentation on most parts of the lathe but I can't claim that it's complete. The two pitch boxes are obviously different. The one with the broken push button switches is the pitch box for the VMS62 Special (a later lathe) but was sold as an update for the AM132b. The other pitch box with the LPI "dial" is the orignal AM132b pitch box.

This is a system for someone with a decent amount of electronics experience - the lathe cabinet wiring is old and will probably have to be redone. You should be prepared to put at least 1 year of work into this lathe before getting anywhere. If you need a tech to help we might be able to assist you finding the right person. Obviously you will need to source a head and a rack. A Neumann SX68 will probably cost you $4-$5k. I have no direct experience with any Vinylium/Flo products, but perhaps there is a potential for using the Caruso head / Flo's preamp / Vinylium pitch & depth system, etc.

There are enough spare parts to make this a nice functioning system if someone is willing to take it on as a project. We don't want to sell this to an audiophile who will just use it as a turntable. Ideally this will go out into the world to cut records. It can absolutely be brought back to life.

Priced to move. Prefer to sell to someone local (NY/NJ area etc.). That's why it's not on Ebay. The lathe is located in New Brunswick, NJ. We're not shipping it. If you're not local you'll have to fly here, rent a truck, and pick it up. Same thing if you're outside the US.

Try to ask any questions here in the thread to avoid bombarding me with PMs.

Bonati

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:33 am

AM132b sold.

MrMegaEli

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:57 am

great!

dietrich10

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:20 pm

as it should of been that fast.
motor and platters almost worth the investment...
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

gold

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:11 pm

dietrich10 wrote:as it should of been that fast.
motor and platters almost worth the investment...
Lets hope it doesn't make its way to the Far East as a turntable. The price is supposed to be contingent on that. We could flip it for a bundle too.

dubcutter89

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:10 am

looks like a nice project... and hopefully will cut records again!

btw

i'm looking for a (neumann) headmount - somebody has something or knows of one?

thanks
Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

Bonati

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:13 pm

dubcutter89 wrote:i'm looking for a (neumann) headmount - somebody has something or knows of one?
I think you're talking about the suspension box, right? This box mounts the head and has some additional electronics / connections in it as well as the head up/down lever. Or are you talking about the specific head mount *plate* that's in the suspension box?

Which lathe are you using? Maybe post a picture of your setup so we can see what's going on.

opcode66

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:58 pm

I seriously doubt that one could find a spare suspension or platter for a vms system.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Masterlabs

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:52 pm

I have a spare suspension.I used to have 2 spare, but sold one a few years ago on eBay for about $1100.
Masterlabs~~ Custom Analogue and
Digital Mastering Services
www.masterlabs.net

dietrich10

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Rhythm Shack has one on ebay right now too I believe
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

opcode66

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Surprising that any are available. I know that a number of spare ones were snagged by VMS80 owner to convert to cutting lacquers instead of DMM. Also, I've seen a lot of people looking for platters or chuck tables with no success.

FYI, no SA66 on eBay. A full VMS 70 for 99K however... LOL
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Bonati

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 am

We're having a sale at Al's shop in New Brunswick NJ this Saturday (12/8). Check out the separate thread I made about it for details.

chris muth

Re: Al Grundy parts/treasure trove

Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:24 pm

Some of Al's items have been restored. I've started a new thread to list them when they come up. VAB 084, SX-68, SX-74, connectors, modules... going on eBay as I get them finished and packed for shipment.
cheerios, cm

chris muth

Re: Al Grundy parts/treasure trove

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:29 pm

SX-74 on eBay now. It's a nice one. cm