WTB: Recordette or Soundscriber

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Self-lather

WTB: Recordette or Soundscriber

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:19 am

Hi, I'm just sort of getting into record cutting, and thought I might get my feet wet by experimenting with an old Recordette or Soundscriber. These seem to be within my budget..

Anyways, I'm looking to buy a Recordette or Soundscriber. Preferably a Soundscriber. If anyone has any leads, I would appreciate it! Thanks.

-Thomas

grooveguy

Dictating machines

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:55 pm

Well, let me tell you, cutting real records and embossing with a dictating machine is 'apples and oranges.' While quite decent musical results can be obtained with some of the old dictating machines, performance is probably not what you would expect, and you would be getting your feet wet in the wrong medium. Better if you can get an old Recordio or other 'home' record-cutter using the General Industries mechanism. Now, THAT is real sound recording, not, "Take a letter, Miss Smith!"

Self-lather

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:26 am

Hey Grooveguy, thanks for the advice. I ended up getting two different Recordios off of Ebay, which I can't wait to start playing with. One of them should be arriving today in the mail. If all goes well, I might look into getting a Presto cutter, which I recently heard some cuts created with one, and it sounded really good!

I'm glad after reading this that I didn't end up winning the Soundscriber!

-Thomas

grooveguy

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:27 am

Good for you, Thomas, you are off to a good start. I began my disc-cutting career at the age of 10 with my parents' "home record-maker," a General Industries deck (probably like your Recordio) packaged with a radio and PA system by Motorola. I still have discs that my parents and/or I cut 50+ years ago, making them far better for archiving than tape! A few years ago I, too, salvaged the decks from a couple of Recordios and hope to make a "CD cutter" from one of them.

I've also purchased a few Soundscribers off eBay but have not been able to do much with them. They are packaged so tightly that it's very difficult to do any modifications.

Best of luck, and keep us all posted on your progress!

cartridge-repair

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:00 am

I have a few Soundscribers for sale. Gib
West-Tech provides service and parts for record cutters and phonos for the hobbyist, adventurer and enthusiast. Thanks for your patronage. Gib

PHANTOM

MY PRESTO K-8

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:45 pm

FIRST $275.00 TAKES IT

SEE MY AD IN THIS FORUM

PHANTOM

Self-lather

Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:35 am

Thanks everyone for the leads. I found a Recordette on ebay that I'm currently playing with.

-Thomas