Metal core laminated pressed 78? (London, c. 1955)

Stuff not covered by the other...Forii? whatever. General goofiness. (You should not post here unless you've been contributing elsewhere on this site.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

blacknwhite

Metal core laminated pressed 78? (London, c. 1955)

Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:04 pm

Metal-core laminated pressed 78? (London, c. 1955)

Just curious... anyone know if there ever was such a thing? Or maybe a metal reinforcement ring on the outer edge in an attempt to prevent chips / breakage? It could be done by just dropping a 9-7/8" metal ring in the press with the biscuit... bizarre

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160262679628

emorritt

Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:51 pm

The photo isn't that large, but are you sure you're not seeing a kraft paper laminate layer? This pressing looks like something similar to a Columbia of the same era; these were a 5 layer pressings with a tough inner "core" covered with two layers of kraft paper, then the two high quality material playing surfaces. Sometimes when the edges of these get chipped you can see the kraft paper underneath the playing surfaces which may have a copper like appearance due to it's color. I'm not aware of commercial pressings with any sort of metal core, but such a beast may exist...

Dub Studio

Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:46 am

There are some more metal discs here, but they are all home/department store recording discs I think: http://www.wfmu.org/MACrec/metal.html

Aussie0zborn

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:51 am

The photo shows an EMI Australia pressing of 10" 78rpm record. I would say this is paper in the middle.

Perisphere

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:16 am

Columbia in the US protected the centre hole of their very earliest discs with a brass grommet. I think they discontinued this practice some time in 1902.

emorritt

Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:07 am

Yes, you're probably seeing paper. They also did what perisphere said, put a metal reinforcement grommet in the center for a while. I guess to keep people from pulling the disks off the turntable spindle at an angle and breaking out the center hole. All the reinforcement did was make a bigger hole and voila - you have a Standard disc!! Or worst case scenario an Aretino disc! (Sorry...) :lol:

cuttercollector

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:25 pm

"Standard Disc" HA ! I always liked the name :)
Make a non-standard disc and call it a "Standard Disc".
I have a few of those and worse, with the collection are some actual standard discs from other labels whose center holes were enlarged to play on a "Standard Disc" turntable.

emorritt

Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:30 pm

Nothing standard at all and yes, I've seen the "enlarged" hole Victor's and Columbia's for those who got burned by a jobber or door to door salesman with an overstock of Standard talking machines. Aretinos look like giant 45's with their 3 inch center hole and I have a couple Uniteds that have a 1.5 inch hole (if I remember correctly) and I'm sure everybody's seen a Busy Bee with the standard hole and punchout so only their records could be played on their machines. Most Busy Bee slugs got ground off the turntable so the owner could play "regular" records, but since Busy Bee's were cheap knockoff machines anyway most wouldn't play all the way through a 10 inch disk because the motor wasn't strong enough.