Are pressing errors valuable?

Stuff not covered by the other...Forii? whatever. General goofiness. (You should not post here unless you've been contributing elsewhere on this site.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Jesus H Chrysler

Are pressing errors valuable?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:21 am

Just curious. I know that certain mistakes are rare and valuable in coins and stamps but what about records? Case in point: I have a copy of Jesus Christ Superstar that instead of having sides 1-4 has 2 side 3's and 2 side 4's. It has the right labels, but the wrong stampers. How common is this kind of fuck up?

markrob

Re: Are pressing errors valuable?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:39 am

Hi,

Some are, for sure. It depends on the artist, type of error and rarity among other factors. One famous error bringing big bucks is the this Bob Dylan LP:

http://recordmecca.com/news/an-original-freewheelin-bob-dylan-with-withdrawn-tracks-surfaces/

The question becomes; is this really an error? Or, did somebody at the pressing plant decide to run off a future collectible given the orders to change stampers.

I had a weird one in my collection. It was a later 1980's pressing of Yes Fragile. Someone doing the mastering, must have had a setting wrong. In the middle of one of the side, a switch was thrown and suddenly, the treble response jumped. I guess whoever was doing the transfer figured nobody would take notice. I doubt it has any worth as it really kills the sound. IIRC, I gave it away to a friend (he probably still has it).

Mark

Steve E.
Site Admin

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:04 pm

With these things, it's always a matter of: Do people want it?

The pressing errors that I've noticed being valuable are usually the ones that are more interesting than annoying. Usually, a matter of content that is unavailable elsewhere, due to the wrong tapes being pulled, pressed in tiny quantities, of a popular artist.

So, any Dylan singles that had the wrong song, unavailable elsewhere (as in the "Positively Fourth Street" single containing a melodious early take of "Please Crawl Out Your Window"). The Rolling Stones' "Hot Rocks" containing unfinished working versions of the last two songs (which I'm happy to say I snagged recently).

I'd think that a pressing that was so off that it was visually interesting...would be more interesting. A plate that is so eccentric that the grooves sweep all the way off the disc, for example. Or a label embedding in the grooves. Even then, I don't know how much someone would pay for it....but they might enjoy displaying it.

EmAtChapterV

Self-demonstrating record

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:51 pm

I'll just leave this here:

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:29 am

Now THAT's what I'm talking about, Em. :lol:

mossboss

Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:44 am

If any one gives you .$1 for this one I would be surprised
A misplaced label is a very common occurrence in any pressing shop
This one happened to slip through QA
No big deal really it happened than it happens now
Mike posted about a Scottish tune which was pressed from a master tape that was not wound back when it was send out from the studio
There was some fe thousand records pressed before someone who was familiar with the tune pointed out to the label and pressing plant that it was so
I did say a dollar May be a little more But than again someone may be crazy enough to offer more nothing surprises me any more :D
Cheers
Chris