Shortage Schmortage!

Stuff not covered by the other...Forii? whatever. General goofiness. (You should not post here unless you've been contributing elsewhere on this site.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Re: Shortage Schmortage!

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:16 pm

This year makes this idea possible. This year a plant goes online which produces a byproduct of Helium. There is still tons of it in the Earth. We just blew through our refined reserves.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

jjgolden

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:24 pm

That's good to know.
Curious to see how a new facility will affect prices and our ability to refill for cutting.
What is considered a "byproduct" of helium?

JJG

opcode66

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:34 pm

Helium is the byproduct. It is a byproduct of refining natural gas. There is a plant that comes online this year in the Middle East that will be producing helium as a byproduct of refining natural gas and oil.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

jjgolden

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Ok, yes a byproduct of natural gas.

JayDC

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:21 pm

helium is overrated.. i wouldn't use it.. if you're cutting so loud you're over heating your head, you're doing it wrong ;)
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

mossboss

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:41 am

Hey J don't start on that stuff again man, its used to cool cutting heads in our game not for other uses
Cheers
Chris

Angus McCarthy

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:00 pm

JayDC wrote:helium is overrated.. i wouldn't use it.. if you're cutting so loud you're over heating your head, you're doing it wrong ;)
But then how will the Klub Kiddies get their Kicks? :P

opcode66

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Use of Helium was suggested by the original manufacturer Neumann. They suggested to use it as a way to extend the lifespan of your cutterhead. The suggestion was made with absolutely no consideration of the club style 12" single that wouldn't become popular until at least a decade or two later. They were suggesting to use Helium to keep the coils cool when cutting at nominal levels.

Anyone doing modern loud cuts should certainly use Helium. And, in fact, every Neumann cutter could extend the lifespan of their cutterhead by doing so.
JayDC wrote:helium is overrated.. i wouldn't use it..
Well, you don't cut on a Neumann so that's a mute point.
JayDC wrote:if you're cutting so loud you're over heating your head, you're doing it wrong ;)
I don't know how else to get levels warm enough to please my customers safely. If I'm making my customers happy and doing great loud cuts safely then I'm doing everything right.

JayDC

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Angus McCarthy wrote:
JayDC wrote:helium is overrated.. i wouldn't use it.. if you're cutting so loud you're over heating your head, you're doing it wrong ;)
But then how will the Klub Kiddies get their Kicks? :P
when they suck on balloons, it's not helium ;)

opcode66

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Clearly the reference was to loud cuts for club kiddies which are only possible safely by cutting with helium.

JayDC

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 pm

i guess, I cut loud cuts for myself to play in clubs and at raves, and I use no noble gasses in the process..

opcode66

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:10 am

It's at this point where a direct comparison of our respective levels on disc would be necessary. Or you could look up the specs on the respective cutterheads that we are using. The SX heads were known for their capacity for volume in comparison to mono heads that came before.

Also, the clarity of cuts, low noise, flat response, full range, etc. All of this is only possible via more delicate coils and a more complicated cutterhead design. So, if you want clear, full range, non distorted cuts at volume, you need to use a higher end head. And, to keep yourself from smoking it at high levels (and making for a very costly repair) you use helium. A trickle. This is not a waste in comparison to how much has been lost to space from children's balloons. Or, high speed land rocket cart testing. They use a plastic shroud the length of the track filled with helium. They lose miles of it every launch.

Jay, we all hear what you are saying. But, you are not comparing apples to apples. The cuts one makes on a mono head from the 50's or earlier just can not compare to what you get from pro grade more modern cutterheads. What is reasonable on your end of the spectrum doesn't necessarily equate on the other.

JayDC

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:40 am

blah, blah, blah.. is there ever a discussion that you don't want to argue.. jeeze.. you're right always... :roll:

Aussie0zborn

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 am

If all you can think of when discussing helium is inhaling it, then its probably best not to enter the discussion. Let's stay on topic and hopefully learn something new.

Good to see the helium shortage is liable to come to a quick end.

JayDC

Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:17 pm

if you want your recordings inadvertently colored by your head coolant, then I guess keep sucking helium out of the ground... noble gasses vibrate at different frequencies, and since helium is a noble gas you'll add that frequency to the recording by resonating through the metal structure of the recording head...

it's basic quantum physics

so if you're into that, than by all means.. I personally don't like the feel that it leaves on the recording, and I don't like the look of ne/he lasers or neon signs either.... ar/ne is nice and warm though, my gretz beer neon is pretty awesome..

opcode66

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:57 pm

The amount that comes out of the tube into the cutterhead is so small that is would never have a noticeable affect. I really think you should see Helium in use. You are taking this to such an extreme. If what you are saying is true then the air in the room itself has an effect on every cutterhead worldwide regardless of helium unless you run in a vacuum.

There is no way you can tell a record that was cut with helium and one that wasn't. There is just no way that you can tell that.

JayDC

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:00 pm

opcode66 wrote:The amount that comes out of the tube into the cutterhead is so small that is would never have a noticeable affect. I really think you should see Helium in use. You are taking this to such an extreme. If what you are saying is true then the air in the room itself has an effect on every cutterhead worldwide regardless of helium unless you run in a vacuum.

There is no way you can tell a record that was cut with helium and one that wasn't. There is just no way that you can tell that.
it's obvious to me you don't quite understand what I'm talking about... so if you want to learn more, be nice.. if not, just keep telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.. and I can tell.. I can tell neumann from scully, i can tell 68 vrs 74 I can feel helium/non helium... so stop playing into QCD which is what your 74 + helium is doing to you..

JayDC

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:27 pm

... duplicate post ..

Aussie0zborn

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:33 pm

Helium simply fills the gap between the coils. Because I'm a little bit older than you and was cutting professionally back in the heyday of vinyl I will trust the opinions of my mentor and peers. None of them were self taught. They were all trained by highly skilled professionals from big companies with the technical resources and know-how. If you could "hear" the helium they would have mentioned it, wouldn't have used it and I would have known about it - straight from the experts.

I don't believe you can hear any effect from helium, but if you can hear it, that's great.

Let's not get to the pont where this thread needs to be locked.