JayDC huffing Helium

Stuff not covered by the other...Forii? whatever. General goofiness. (You should not post here unless you've been contributing elsewhere on this site.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JayDC

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:06 pm

and it would be great to feel dis proper..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRXnUdOm7oA

girls go crazy over them
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

opcode66

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Your cutterhead does not take 350 Watts per channel. Thus, the coils in your cutterhead do not heat up like those in an SX74. If you are regularly pushing volume on an SX74 and you want to extend it's life then you need to run helium through it as a gas based heat sink.

This was suggested by Neumann. They say it is not necessary. But, that's only if you want to spend 6k every few years having your head rewound. The price of Helium vs. a 6K repair is a no brainer. The tube that feeds the cutterhead gas is less than an 1/8th inch diameter. So, we are talking about a very small trickle of gas. You don't rip through a tank quickly. I'm sure you probably could use another gas instead of Helium. But, why do something contrary to the specifications of the people who designed and built the lathe?
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

JayDC

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:33 pm

da worse dat 'appends is nothing.. or you get some weird dual resonate garbage and it back to da drawling board... [content removed by SE]

JayDC

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:44 pm

do i REAALLY need to break it down, or did you not read all da posts up to 'ere?

Noble gases are "Special"

helium is one of those gases.. it's visible color wen excited is RED.. and not just any RED, a horrible RED..

Neon is a nicer RED, it looks hot, not horrible..

Argon is GREEN.. which oddly enough is VERY pleasing to your eye..

Argon is also more plentiful since it comes from AIR, and not pumped from da GROUND..

My question for you, using the basic explanation above:

Would you like to cut records perceived as horrible, or as pleasant?

if its the latter, try argon.. I promise it won't fuck up your rig.. I'll sell my car and fix it for you if it does..

JayDC

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:56 pm

I'll also sell my presto, my studio stuff, all my old records, and everting else close to me.. coz i won't need that stuff, I'll just be a fireman..

JayDC

Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 pm

JayDC wrote:tbch.. I'm not exactly sure wat changing the gas would do..

if your using noble gases: each one is a color ;]

if some how the acceleration limiter was connected to some sort of feedback from da head, it's quite possible that you could change gases to resonate different frequencies.. as long as you don't invoke the dual resonance model.. wtf am i talking about.. :shock:
thats why opticode..

JayDC

Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:14 pm

just make sure you flush out all da helium.. the add argon.. DO NOT MIX GASES..

and you may want to let it sit charged over night to give time for da head to acclimate..

bancho

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:37 am

:shock: emmm... JayDC... why are you having monologues?
...or someone is deleting the posts... :?

Please don't fu*k up this forum! If someone finds the topic inappropriate he can ask the moderator to lock it!

opcode66

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:17 am

JayDC wrote:
JayDC wrote:tbch.. I'm not exactly sure wat changing the gas would do..

if your using noble gases: each one is a color ;]

if some how the acceleration limiter was connected to some sort of feedback from da head, it's quite possible that you could change gases to resonate different frequencies.. as long as you don't invoke the dual resonance model.. wtf am i talking about.. :shock:
thats why opticode..
The gas serves no other function than to maintain a proper ambient temperature inside the cutterhead, specifically around the coils. I'm aware of no other side effect from using gas.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

opcode66

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:27 am

I forgot to mention that medical grade Helium is as very clean gas. Cheaper gas will usually have some impurity in it. You dont want a buildup of impurities in your cutterhead.

JayDC

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:05 am

look dood..

noble gases resonate at different frequencies..

that is how gas laser works, that is why you can see them excited..

if you understood things like "the dual resonance model" and "string theory" you would connect the dots and totally understand why and acceleration limiter is call exactly that and not a desser..

even if I try to explain it, you wouldn't understand it.

all I know is that argon is in tune wit our natural order. helium not so much..

[Potentially offensive or perhaps just confusing content removed by Steve E.]... then we should be able to switch gases, and you would see a WORLD of difference.. I am 100% serious.. It'll reverse the effects of quantum chromodynamics, or "divide and conquer" wit a natural order that has not been seen in america since the industrial revolution. I'd call it the green revolution.. Everyting obama wants to do wit america would be possible, will ease the public once we finally default, and will help maintain control in case china has ideas..

sometimes you need to look past the manual..

that heat sink in nothing more then a resonance chamber, the acceleration limiter prevents dual resonances which can cause all kinda of fucked up shit in the human mind..

I am sure that the idea was not to bring misery to society, just more of a away to control the tone. We need to change that tone or the worse is yet to come. it's non harmonic with the universe, sun, everything. and to bring it balance all we should have to do is switch to argon, cut records, press them and distribute them, get them on the radio, export them, play them.. even just vinyl rip a reference lacquer for digital distribution..

I understand, we can only use one tone at a time, it does not mean we cannot change tones to help our society survive.. that why they work in the way they do..

we need to do this now, and records are one of the only ways we as a society can do it.. I do not want my country to be enslaved for the next 1000 years.. and I would like to see the next level of human existence...

and I think easiest to way to do it is to save some money on helium, and switch to argon..

JayDC

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:12 am

i could be wrong and it doesn't work.. and we are fucked.. that is a very real possibility.. unfortunatly I do not have a neumann to experiment with, and we americans have about 25 days to do something or we are fucked..

american society IS not going to just listen to the news that we are enslaved to our debt, its going to freak out.. Changing tones can, and probably will ease this "no hope", "no future" stress.. and prevent needless bloodshed in the streets if a mass panic broke out..

JayDC

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:28 am

bancho wrote::shock: emmm... JayDC... why are you having monologues?
...or someone is deleting the posts... :?

Please don't fu*k up this forum! If someone finds the topic inappropriate he can ask the moderator to lock it!
it was like a brake thru, you can see how i figure out wat i figure out by the progression of my monologue.. its all coz I found the use of helium odd, and know wat i know about gas lasers.. i kinna stumbled into this..

i really hope dat someone at least try's it. we as a society have nothing to lose and everything to gain from it..

JayDC

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:30 am

the thread would be shorter and more organized on my par if there way an edit button

markrob

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:25 am

Well,

One thing you didn't take into account in your thinking is that argon gas is about 10 times less heat condutive than helium. It is similar in properites to regular good old air. If you have a copy of the AES Disk Recording Anthology Vol 1, you can read what Neumann engineers were thinking about the subject. (see page 271 fig. 6). In the first revision, they considered hydrogen, but later changed to helium as it is not as dangerous and/or corosive.

Here is a link to a table showing the thermal conductiviey of common gasses:

http://www.engineersedge.com/heat_transfer/thermal-conductivity-gases.htm

Those Neumann guys were pretty smart. Rather than getting a veiw inside your brain as you think things out, it would seem to make more sense to really study the issue and make one complete post.

Mark

JayDC

Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:41 pm

my mind doesnt work that way, and never did..

the information is there, do with it wat you will.. Being stubborn and sticking to wat they tell you is no way to innovate and evolve..

maybe your all correct, and I'm a crazy acid fill retard.. or maybe I'm correct.. the only way we'll ever know is if someone tests my theory..

I'm tired of all the negativity I'm a attracting today.. I'm going to go relax.. mossy you ave my number..

mossboss

Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:45 am

Man Just like your Signature
Play wif it
You are doing great in getting people wondering about your sanity Phewwwww
Cheers
Chris

opcode66

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:22 pm

JayDC wrote:my mind doesnt work that way, and never did..

the information is there, do with it wat you will.. Being stubborn and sticking to wat they tell you is no way to innovate and evolve..

maybe your all correct, and I'm a crazy acid fill retard.. or maybe I'm correct.. the only way we'll ever know is if someone tests my theory..

I'm tired of all the negativity I'm a attracting today.. I'm going to go relax.. mossy you ave my number..
@Mossboss - looking to hire someone at the Florida plant?

@JayDC - No one is opposed to innovation. But, why try something you know won't work? I'm not going to try to evolve a square peg into a round hole if I know it won't fit. As was already pointed out, Helium was selected due to its thermodynamic properties. The medical grade is also a very clean gas with little impurities in it. That is what you want. Please don't call me an idiot. That is totally uncalled for...

mossboss

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:44 am

@ opcode Yes
Cheers
Chris

opcode66

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:56 pm

@Mossboss - PM'ing you details of a friend who is interested.