Hey, what happened to Old Time Victrola Music Message Board?

Stuff not covered by the other...Forii? whatever. General goofiness. (You should not post here unless you've been contributing elsewhere on this site.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Hey, what happened to Old Time Victrola Music Message Board?

Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:59 pm

Rats.

[Dead link removed.]
Last edited by Steve E. on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cd4cutter

Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:03 pm

I'm not sure what happened today (the OTV board is apparently down). But the OTV board has been rapidly losing members and views due to internal political fighting between the administrator and some of the members. Most of the members have gone over to another board called The Talking Machine Forum:

[dead link removed]

This forum has been in operation for only about a month, but its popularity is growing rapidly as it takes membership away from the OTV board.
Collecting moss, phonos, and radios in the mountains of WNC

Steve E.
Site Admin

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:34 am

Well, I don't know all the details, but Dan, the admin, is claiming that a guy vengefully hacked into the board and deleted 8 years worth of posts. Politics aside, that is just plain uncool.

I want to support him. New temp board is here:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/OTVMMB/index.php?act=SC&c=1

Details from Dan here:

http://undeadmediaproductions.blogspot.com/

Perisphere

Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:04 pm

Proboards got fed up with all the board-to-board squabbling and yanked BOTH OTV and Talking Machine boards from its site.

AFAIK the Talking Machine lot haven't got anything sorted but I signed on to the renewed OTV forum today.

cd4cutter

Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:36 pm

The Talking Machine Forum has regrouped under an internet domain owned by one of the members. This way, there aren't going to be any third party hosts to pull the board down when a catfight ensues. The OTV Board lost most of its members to the Talking Machine Forum and the TMF is now much more populated and successful than the newest OTV Board. Regardless of who was guilty of what :roll: , you can now "takes yer cherce":

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/
Collecting moss, phonos, and radios in the mountains of WNC

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Thanks for the news, perisphere and cd4cutter! I'm just sad that much of that old work got lost. Beyond all the fighting, there was a lot of extremely valuable information there, much of it posted by people who weren't even a part of the squabbles.

Perisphere

Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:46 pm

cd4cutter wrote:The Talking Machine Forum has regrouped under an internet domain owned by one of the members. This way, there aren't going to be any third party hosts to pull the board down when a catfight ensues. The OTV Board lost most of its members to the Talking Machine Forum and the TMF is now much more populated and successful than the newest OTV Board. Regardless of who was guilty of what :roll: , you can now "takes yer cherce":

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/
I posted my previous post, then later, on a whim, decided to 'Google' 'Talking Machine Board Forum' (goofy as that looks) and eventually found the way to the new 'Talking Machine Forum'. So I'm a member of both boards now.

Thanks!

MordEth

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:05 am

Steve E. wrote:Well, I don't know all the details, but Dan, the admin, is claiming that a guy vengefully hacked into the board and deleted 8 years worth of posts. Politics aside, that is just plain uncool.
Steve,

Just so you’re aware—Dan has been repeatedly lying about this, and cannot be trusted.

[much of post removed by admin]

....that his board is largely dead is wholly because of his actions.

There are a lot of other [...] places to discuss phonographs—don’t let him think that you support his behavior [...removed by admin].

Just my $0.02. If anyone wants evidence linked or quoted inline (or sent via e-mail), let me know. This version of phpBB (with your settings) seriously curtails the number of links I can have in a post.

I’d rather be discussing music or phonographs, but I’d rather not have anyone believing outright lies if I can correct that belief, and I imagine that at least a few people here feel the same way over some of the things that are said about EQ, etc.

~ MordEth

Steve E.
Site Admin

Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi, Mordeth, and welcome. Your knowledge, experience and questions are welcome, as well.

I chose to remove most of your post. Please do not interpret this as any sort of choosing sides, or a judging of the potential evidence you provided. If Dan posted a similar sort of post here I would remove it, too. I simply want to minimize the politics and drama over here, since that is not the topic of this board. I kept the text of your post, so if you want to post the item on your own board, I will happily turn it over. You took the time to write it and I do want to honor your time. I think of this as "moderating" the board, which involves keeping it peaceful and focused (at least focused enough). I hope people here understand this action to be something a little different than censorship.

I was careful not to state on this site who Dan was accusing of hacking, though I did include links to his sites where he can, of course, say whatever he wants. Honestly, I don't know any of the people involved, Dan or you or anyone else, and I have no way of knowing who is telling the truth, or if you each simply see the "truth" differently....to get metaphysical about it. Links remain for both of your boards, where people can choose to engage or not engage in the drama.

All I know is that the old board was full of information that I found useful, and that several of my technical questions had been answered there, by Dan and many others. It was a valuable resource. It had been nice to check back on people's answers to my questions, and it's all gone now. I lost some addresses of repair people in my private messages, too. I wish I had saved some of that info on my computer. So my primary sadness is the loss of all that information, no matter who or what caused it. That's what I find "uncool."

My support for Dan is simply that he had hosted that board for which I was thankful. He put years of time into it and gave me lots of information on old talking machines. If he is able to restore some of that lost data, I will be very glad, and I want to support that effort as well. He was also very helpful to me in providing data on a troublemaker who was posting on my board as well as on his.

It looks like your board will be a valuable vitual community for people who want to discuss Victrolas, as well.

Thanks for the technical advice in the other thread! I may well migrate this board, and I should back it up, indeed.

MordEth

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:29 am

Steve E. wrote:Hi, Mordeth, and welcome. Your knowledge, experience and questions are welcome, as well.
Steve,

Thanks for the welcome, although I will probably end up reading more than I reply, unless I feel I have something to contribute (e.g. on topics involving computers or the internet).

Definitely, though, if I have questions, I will post them.
Steve E. wrote:I chose to remove most of your post. Please do not interpret this as any sort of choosing sides, or a judging of the potential evidence you provided. If Dan posted a similar sort of post here I would remove it, too. I simply want to minimize the politics and drama over here, since that is not the topic of this board. I kept the text of your post, so if you want to post the item on your own board, I will happily turn it over. You took the time to write it and I do want to honor your time. I think of this as "moderating" the board, which involves keeping it peaceful and focused (at least focused enough). I hope people here understand this action to be something a little different than censorship.
I really wish you had not, because after the way the man has behaved, if you are talking about supporting him, I think that the people who would post on his board deserve to know his actions, and the links that I provided were all his posts on the ProBoards support forum. So they would be judging whether he is worthy of that support based on his own words and actions. Hopefully you looked at the links before removing them, and considered whether you continue to believe and support Dan’s effort.

If you would rather judge him using other people as sources,

[zapped by admin....sorry, I don't think it's appropriate to speak for other people here...my rules.--admin]

I don’t think it’s worth bothering to post what I wrote (without your edits) on John (Neophone)’s board, which I host for him on his domain, because I think the vast majority of the users there are well aware of what Gilmore has been doing, and are not posting on the NTVMMB.
Steve E. wrote:I was careful not to state on this site who Dan was accusing of hacking, though I did include links to his sites where he can, of course, say whatever he wants. Honestly, I don't know any of the people involved, Dan or you or anyone else, and I have no way of knowing who is telling the truth, or if you each simply see the "truth" differently....to get metaphysical about it. Links remain for both of your boards, where people can choose to engage or not engage in the drama.
I have no problem with that; I had only posted what I did because you make him sound believable and stated that you wanted to support him. So I had demonstrated with links that even by his own admission on the ProBoards support board, he cannot be counted on to tell the truth, or even a consistent story.

There are plenty of long-term members of the OTVMMB that have gotten to know me (Rocky [EdisonSquirrel], Adam Dubin [beaumonde], gramophoneshane, JohnM, etc.) that you could talk to if you doubt my character, or if you doubt the truth of anything that I have to say.
Steve E. wrote:All I know is that the old board was full of information that I found useful, and that several of my technical questions had been answered there, by Dan and many others. It was a valuable resource. It had been nice to check back on people's answers to my questions, and it's all gone now. I lost some addresses of repair people in my private messages, too. I wish I had saved some of that info on my computer. So my primary sadness is the loss of all that information, no matter who or what caused it. That's what I find "uncool."
You might check this thread for Repairs, Parts, Dealers. I have recovered other information from Google’s caches to answer questions on The Talking Machine Forum, and if there is anything in particular you would like to see resurrected, please let me know.

John (Neophone) and others have worked hard to get most of the links back online, so you may want to start there with some stuff you could bookmark...

I definitely prefer phpBB to ProBoards, in that you have the ability to back up your private messages at any time, in more than one format, all of which are superior to what ProBoards offered (which you could only back up once per month, assuming it worked properly).
Steve E. wrote:My support for Dan is simply that he had hosted that board for which I was thankful. He put years of time into it and gave me lots of information on old talking machines. If he is able to restore some of that lost data, I will be very glad, and I want to support that effort as well. He was also very helpful to me in providing data on a troublemaker who was posting on my board as well as on his.
I can understand that he spent time and effort on the OTVMMB, but at the same time, he’s fully responsible for its death. I think that the useful information (from what I have heard and seen) came more from other members than Dan, but perhaps I am overly willing to sell his efforts short. Certainly, his posts on the NTVMMB have been rather insight free. I really feel that him recovering the data is all talk, to quote Dan himself (nearly a month ago on 7 January):
Dan Gilmore@NTVMMB wrote:I'll have the links I recovered up in a few minutes. I have to just pull the file and get at the information.
From what I have seen, it looks like Dan blew most of his chances at using Google cache to recover information (as I assume he has not already done so, since he hasn’t posted it), since I tried several searches earlier and most of the cache links are dead.

If you want to search yourself, just go to Google and use this search string:

Code: Select all

search term(s) site:sonoraman.proboards107.com
and click on the ‘Cached’ links. For example, if you search for ‘parts’ using that method, only 2 of the items on the first page are still cached.

[Swipe at third party removed, whether founded or unfounded. Doesn't belong here.]
Steve E. wrote:It looks like your board will be a valuable virtual community for people who want to discuss Victrolas, as well.
I thank you for that comment, although I’d like to point out again that it’s not my board—I just host it. Dan may choose to smear me as the unknown, but hopefully John (Neophone) is known to you over years of membership on various phonograph message boards.

And I think we are delivering a site that is a valuable phonograph resource now (I just posted spreadsheets of the Edison Diamond Discs and cylinders, for anyone who wanted sortable/searchable lists of them, and have more of this type of thing planned), while [unnecessary swipe at third party removed].
Steve E. wrote:Thanks for the technical advice in the other thread! I may well migrate this board, and I should back it up, indeed.
You’re very welcome. I think you may also want to upgrade to phpBB 3.0.4 also, as the feature improvements are worth it.

If you have a domain and hosting, it’s definitely in your best interests to host it yourself.

Feel free to contact me via e-mail or PM if I can offer you any further technical advice; I’m always glad to help others.

Best regards,
MordEth

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:51 am

I'm going to sound like a broken record or scratched acetate here....
MordEth wrote:I really wish you had not, because after the way the man has behaved, if you are talking about supporting him, I think that the people who would post on his board deserve to know his actions, and the links that I provided were all his posts on the ProBoards support forum. So they would be judging whether he is worthy of that support based on his own words and actions. Hopefully you looked at the links before removing them, and considered whether you continue to believe and support Dan’s effort.
Your post was his links, along with your commentary about the links. It was the tone and the extensiveness of the commentary that I objected to, simply in terms of its relevance to this board.
MordEth wrote:If you would rather judge him using other people as sources
The point is, I don't want to judge anyone around here, including you. That's not the point of this board, and that was not even the real point of my starting this thread. Unless we are talking about people's experiences with specific services or sales related to record cutting, this sort of discussion simply doesn't belong here. I need you to respect this limit or you can't hang around here. This thread, even my contribution to it, verges on violating the "civil and fun" clause stated in my very first ever post:

https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=2&mforum=lathetrolls

I felt the contributions of the other members to this thread, simply stating that there had been fighting and other members went to the Neophone board, was enough information.
MordEth wrote:I had only posted what I did because you make him sound believable and stated that you wanted to support him.
Given the brevity with which I made that comment, (which included the word "claiming", by the way), I felt that posting your simple counterclaim that he was lying was enough, given the charter of this particular board. OK, excellent: Now people know there's another possible opinion and another possible reality, and they know who to talk to to ask questions. I'm sure those who want more information can continue the discussion offline, and you are welcome to share your posts and your evidence there. And, by the way, I am sorry if that sentence made you feel I was siding with his version of events over yours. Not really my point.

My support of Dan continuing to have a board was for the reasons I stated, and they stand. It's nothing personal against you or your board, and it's no reflection on your point of view. If he treated you or anyone else poorly or in an unjust manner, I don't support that. But this is not the place to explore whether that is true, or even to provide the screen names of people who might agree with you. You can supply those names to people to email you privately. Whatever problems you had with him are valid to explore somewhere, but not here. While you are welcome to post the drama elsewhere, I don't intend to continue the discussion here. While I may not support everything the guy does or has done, I still support his right to run his board. See the difference?

This thread is closed!
Sorry, but I will delete any further posts on this topic. It's taking too much of my time and it is not relevant here. Take it offline, take it elsewhere. Not at the dinner table.