REK-O-KUT Imperial. Help.

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Holdamicdoubleclutch

REK-O-KUT Imperial. Help.

Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:32 am

Peace everyone! Hope all is well with everybody.

I'm New to the lathe world. My only experience of cutting a record was on the Gakken record maker. Other than that that's about it haha.

I recently purchased a presto J5 which went a little okay but.... I'll leave that story for another topic in the future for thorough explanation.

So, I ended purchasing a REK-O-KUT Imperial.
Looks REALLY good on the advertisement: built in RIAA curve, came in with 2 sapphire stylus, and disc to cut, etc

It arrived, I tested it out, and immediately, Just like my Presto J5, a problem arose :(

Everything is working when it comes to turning on the machine but the turntable isn't rotating on command.
It'll turn when it wants to, specifically on the 33 1/3 rpm side.

Now, the 78 rpm side? It's like stuck...It wants to turn but something isn't letting It do so.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this at all. :(

If it gets to a point where I may have to open it up for inspection, please let me know what I should be looking for that causes this problem.

[YouTube2]https://youtu.be/nv096uziSZY?si=5Bii51fXc4wCsmdT[/YouTube2]

I ended up doing a little video just to have some visual representation.
Towards the end of the video I should a bag with various screws and stuff. Not sure what these should be used for.
Something for the cutterhead? Turntable plate? Internal?

Sucks to be a newb lol

Any help will be HIGHLY appreciated!

Thank you all for your time.: )

mrd

Re: REK-O-KUT Imperial. Help.

Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:29 pm

Looks like the rubber has worn maybe? If you want to try to inscrease contact from the spindle to the tyres there are grub screws in the metal cover of the speed selector at each end which limits the contact. I've got an imperial II but it looks pretty much the same. Though on mine, in the end, I've mainly switched to using Jed's motor/belt drive system - [YouTube2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfWcskoWFgY[/YouTube2]
Think Mike Dixon (recordlatheparts.com) sells them in the US.

Holdamicdoubleclutch

Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:07 am

mrd wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:29 pm
Looks like the rubber has worn maybe? If you want to try to inscrease contact from the spindle to the tyres there are grub screws in the metal cover of the speed selector at each end which limits the contact. I've got an imperial II but it looks pretty much the same. Though on mine, in the end, I've mainly switched to using Jed's motor/belt drive system - [YouTube2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfWcskoWFgY[/YouTube2]
Think Mike Dixon (recordlatheparts.com) sells them in the US.

Thanks for the reply!

I was recommended this: increase/decrease the grub screw. Didn't seem to do much when I did that.

Funny I was just watching this video not too long ago & was considering getting one of these.
This may be the route I'll take. Seems like Jed's motor/belt drive is efficient.

Once again, thank you for the taking the time to reply, it means a Lot!!

mrd

Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:35 am

No problem. I guess it could be the top of the tire that's worn too... There is someone who re-rubbers if you want to keep it original. I'm supper happy with Jed's motor, It's versatile too so I use it in my live setup (I switch it between two machines)