Getting a Presto K8 LOUD

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Kat

Getting a Presto K8 LOUD

Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:27 pm

Exactly what it says. I’m curious as to ways to bump up the volume on my Presto without burning things out. Should I look into getting my 5C cutter head rebuilt, which seems already well functioning despite its age, or do I need to upgrade to a better head? What is the upper limit before I fry something?

(I’m currently using a cheap 50W amp that can go up to 100W when both channels are combined.)

Thanks!

markrob

Re: Getting a Presto K8 LOUD

Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:05 pm

Hi,

You can limit the high frequency bandwidth which should allow you to cut at a higher level. If you are trying to push the head at the high end, you will eat a lot of your reserve power. You can also explore half speed mastering which will work wonders with both level and bandwidth. With the K8, you would have to use a variable frequency drive or engineer some kind of mechanical speed reduction (if its even possible) on the motor to run at 16 rpm. That may be too involved. But, you can experiment by cutting at 33 rpm for 45 rpm playback. Running higher power may also work unless you have hit the limit for you head.

Mark