Vanrock 101 Newbie platter noise

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Evan

Vanrock 101 Newbie platter noise

Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:02 pm

Hello trolls! My name is Evan and I’m a newb. Bought a Vanrock 101 a couple months ago to get my feet wet. Mike Dixon has been helping me out setting up and that’s where I get my discs and embossing needle from. He’s the best I highly recommend.

Anywho, I’ve been using often and have gotten great cuts. My platter started making a grinding noise moving back and forth from the Stop and Recording positions. I need help diagnosing the sound. Is it the motor or do I need to degrease some rails, replace belts etc.

I’m not a mechanic, so if there are any suggestions on where I can have this machine worked on that would be amazing. Thank you!

Evan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mrd

Re: Vanrock 101 Newbie platter noise

Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:57 am

Sounds pretty funky, definitely check belts first in my view. There are three in total IIRC. one under the platter and two internally which help with the lathe bed movement at different speeds