Been lurking for years.

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Merkley???

Been lurking for years.

Mon May 23, 2022 1:14 pm

Which turntables have enough torque to effectively spin a rek o kut lathe-arm-mechanism dealie?

Looking to Frankenstein a turn table, a movement device & a stereo cutting head together, but the turntable definitely needs the torque to move the type of mechanics on a presto or rek o kut, center hole mounting mechanism.

Thanks!

markrob

Re: Been lurking for years.

Mon May 23, 2022 1:39 pm

Hi,

I would say none if you are talking using a modern turntable. Way too much torque needed. Your best bets are:

1. Roll your own turntable. Belt drive is easiest.
2. Buy and restore an old broadcast turntable like a Russco or similar. Some of the older rim drive Hi-Fi units might work (think Garrard or Thornes. etc.)
3 Mod the overhead to be driven by an external motor, not the turntable, to reduce the required torque. In that case, an off the shelf direct drive might turntable be OK to deal with the cutting forces only. This is still marginal especially if you plan to cut 12". Look at the hi end SP10's and SP15's as opposed to the SL1200's\

Hope this helps.

Mark

Merkley???

Mon May 23, 2022 2:51 pm

Thanks.

I will be on the lookout for one of the models you mentioned. I just really like the efficient design of one motor to run it all.

Any other specific models known to have sufficient torque would be super appreciated.

markrob

Mon May 23, 2022 8:50 pm

Hi,

The advantage to driving the overhead from a separate motor is its easy get any pitch you like. With a platter drive, you need a feedscrew for each pitch and no way to do variable pitch.

Mark

Merkley???

Tue May 24, 2022 12:01 am

Since my plan is only to archive live, one take recordings of my own songs sung & played on piano, the time constraint of whatever fits on a given disc, doesn’t bother me & in fact aids me in the process.

I totally get what you mean for most purposes, though.