Newbie project result = low volume and distortion

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JoelSD

Newbie project result = low volume and distortion

Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:44 am

Hello Throlls!

I am a newbie on this wonderful forum and started cutting/embossing a couple of weeks ago after build my 'machine'. After killing 30 CD's, I finaly got a sound! Pushed it to the limit on pre-amp and power amp, but got a low, low volume and some distortions. I am writing here to share my material that I used and to get some advices from you about it and get some techniques from you to improve it some how, the possible as can. This is totally new for me and my lathe 'maths' and theories are very, very green. I will show you some photos and my setup.

So, the setup chain is...

Digital source (Cubase + digital inverse RIAA curve) :arrow:
IMG_20220408_133225.jpg
IMG_20220408_133208.jpg
Source output (Onyx BlackJack) :arrow:
IMG_20220408_131605.jpg
Q-7 Usb MIXER :arrow:
IMG_20220408_131619.jpg
Pre-amp Fosi audio p1 :arrow:
IMG_20220408_131653.jpg
Power amp Ibiza AMP300 MKII :arrow:
IMG_20220408_131542.jpg
IMG_20220408_131555.jpg
Cutterhead (Tweeters 100w + 2 crossovers Peying PY-T59 and 1.6mm of tungsteen needle
IMG_20220408_131255.jpg
IMG_20220408_131246.jpg
IMG_20220408_131312.jpg
IMG_20220408_131327.jpg
About the material I use:

Numark TT550
IMG_20220408_131444.jpg
CNC lathe
IMG_20220408_131457.jpg
CNC manual level (for the needle drop)
IMG_20220408_131524.jpg
IMG_20220408_131517.jpg
Lathe velocity controller + motor microstep:

Heating Lamp
IMG_20220408_131704.jpg
Turtle Wax
IMG_20220408_131725.jpg
So, now I will show you the results that I got.

Original vinyl sample examples:
Pro vinyl sample (RIAA).mp3
Pro vinyl sample (without RIAA).mp3
Cutted CD (Philips) sample examples (I increased the volume about 5/10db from the original):
Cutted sample (RIIA).mp3
Cutted sample (without RIIA).mp3
Some microscope pictures here:
IMG_20220408_142601.jpg
IMG_20220408_142611.jpg
Processing cut video:
VID_20220408_140632.mp4
Well, this is how I tried until now after mudering these innocent CD's. Honestly, getting a sound on this was a big deal for me. I hope get some feed and advices to improve the sound from you fellows!

Cheers!
Joel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

farmersplow

Re: Newbie project result = low volume and distortion

Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:29 pm

Hello Joel, your first attempts are great. I just started building something like this a year ago.
What I immediately noticed are the following areas that will probably bring improvement:
1. The embedding needle is very vertical. Give a little more "lag" and the result will be even better.
2. Torque Tube: When the needle is closer to the base of the horn, it is easier for the speaker to cut - and more accurately.
3. Torsion spring: It looks like this is a solid material - it hardly allows any movement. This (soft) spring plate should only hold the torsion bar in position at the rear. So that the rod only moves at the front of the needle.
I assume you don't need a stereo effect for now, that's not possible with this single spring. Still I would suggest a V-spring as this current form of spring does not twist easily.
4. Torsion spring retaining wire is missing: If the torsion bar spring is soft, the bar will be positioned in two dimensions (X,Z), but anterior-posterior (Y) movement is possible. this is prevented by a thin wire which I have not seen in your case.
5. Is the needle really tight and without "wobbling" in the carbon rod? (The slit seems to prevent that?)
6. The funnels (aluminum?) are not centered on the torsion bar.
7. During the recording I also heard a regular rumble. I can't say whether it's the turntable or the stepper motor. Perhaps the transmission is so strong because the cutterhead's suspension is too rigid. Do you have a spring that adjusts the bearing pressure in your construction?

But don't worry, this is just the beginning. After all, you managed to put music on the disc. Music you already recognize. So don't give up and keep going.

Greetings from Austria
Thomas

JoelSD

Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:13 am

Hello Thomas!

Thank you for your great advices and knowledge, it will help a lot. I agree with you, my cutterhead definetily needed some improvement but I didin't know how to do technicaly.

About the topics:

1. Yes, I will try adjust more the angle of the needle to know the difference on this first cutterhead 'build'.

2. Other thing that I didn't know and it is crucial. So, the needle need to be in the center base between both tweeters to cut accurately. That's make a real sense and I will adjust too.

3 and 4. The torsion spring is steel and it's screwed in cutterhead. About the V-spring your mention, is like this type:
large_recordlathe_073.jpg
large_recordlathe_071.jpg
The wire you mention is like this image below?:
large_recordlathe_011.jpg
I glued a very thin carbon rode (see image below) from the inside the cones to contact the thick carbon rod of the needle.
IMG_20220409_085946.jpg

5. The needle is tight to the rod. Should do some wobbling? or it need to be real tight?

6. Yes, geometrically the cones are misaligned. I need to adjust them. I used a beer can to do the cones, I saw somewhere people using a perfume can. Do you recommend it more or it is fine anyway?

7. I noticed too that rumbling, I don't know if it is the power amp fan, stepper motor or the mixer. But I suspect that it is from the mixer, I tested to cut some low frequencies in both channels (in the mixer EQ) and the rumbling disappeared. Should I need a 31 EQ band? Or just try it in the box and the mixer? You said about the suspension of the cutterhead, actually could be tigh too much and influenced that rumble. It is possible to adjust the tightness on the righ wheel. (the lef one is for leveling).
IMG_20220409_090023.jpg
Well, that was a great advice and I apreciate your time for this project avaliation. I will keep it for sure with enthusiasm.

Best regards Thomas!
Joel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

farmersplow

Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:27 pm

Hi Joel,
I see you understand what I mean.

A fixed torsion bar spring does not work at all. V spring is as shown in the picture example.

When it comes to wire, I mean something else. I made a sketch for you (based on one of your picture examples).
2022-04-09 18_12_19-Präsentation1 - PowerPoint.png
With this construction the 3D stable position point remains stable - nevertheless the other end of the torsion bar (where the needle is) can move up and down and left and right. (but not back and forth)

All speaker, cone, drive rod and torsion bar connections must be tight. They must not have any elasticity. Every little movement between the parts is disadvantageous!
In your point 7. I can't see any construction that allows the cutting head to move up and down.

Greetings from Austria
Thomas

JoelSD

Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:49 am

Hello Thomas!

That sketch you made is very clear about that mecanism you have been explaining. Meanwhile, I found a very lucid video of what you mean, I supose you saw already. Take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s62GfJEr6PI

At the end of the video, he explains exactly what you mean. Is a true enlightment.

About the cutterhead suspension, I made a small video how I drop the needle on the disc:
VID_20220410_075432.mp4
I will fix the cutterhead in the next days, following your advices, and I update new tests soon here.

Many thanks! It has been a true help.

Best regards!
Joel

farmersplow

Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:09 am

Hi Joel, the video explains the function of the V-spring and the retaining wire very well. (The best video on the net).

In your video I can see the height adjustment of the cutting head very well. However, the spring-loaded suspension is still missing!
Your construction allows precise height adjustment - that's very good. But if the record or turntable has even a slight height difference when turning, then the tracking force of your design changes during the rotation.
Do you know what I mean?
Thomas

JoelSD

Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:42 am

Hello Thomas!

I think I know what you mean, and yes, this construction has no spring and probably make some changes when is recording. When I built it, I tried to figuring out in my mind how to control the level manually and experiment different weights. Then when the needle is on the disc with the weight I wanted, I lock any moviment of the level with the right wheel to avoid any oscilation and be always stable during the rotation. Meanwhile, I will try first improve the cutterhead and continue to experiment to see if I can get some good changes and share with you here.

And, thank you again. It has been a great help to improve.

Best regards!
Joel

JoelSD

Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:43 am

Hello Thomas!

I 'rebuilt' the cutterhead with the steps you mention before, I embossed some CD's and the 1khz sine wave for testing the output, but the sound recorded has not changed at all. I think I need to create a new improved cutterhead... Have you any advice of tweeters and other precise material for this improvement?

Thank you!
Best regards
Joel

farmersplow

Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:35 pm

There are really many options for loudspeakers. Very few can say which type is the best, (I can‘t). In any case, it should be a tweeter because it is small and can handle high frequencies well. (Low frequencies anyway are not very much transmitted by IRIAA filters).

A:
I noticed that the Visaton model (BF-32 4Ohm) was often used for the first attempts.
Presumably because it has certain advantages:
Small build
Easy to assemble
Good centering of the membrane
Simply attach the cone (for transfer)
20mm voice coil (fairly good for starters)
Low cost (this is important because the first 3-4 speakers tend to go up in smoke)

Disadvantage:
Low performance
Visaton BF32.jpg
Example:
https://www.amazon.de/VISATON-2243-Breitbandlautsprecher-Zoll-279387/dp/B0811XRVNK/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=3RJO6EJ6O5HJA&keywords=visaton+bf+32+4+ohm&qid=1651089678&sprefix=visaton+bf+32+4ohm%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-1

B:
In the advanced stage, vibration speakers are often used by the trolls. Probably because after a few attempts (years) one notices that the performance of the small loudspeakers is not enough to cut loud (deep).

Advantages:
28mm voice coil
Stronger magnets
Strong

Disadvantages:
The existing coil centering has to be removed and built through laborious work
As a result, putting on a cone is not easy and requires a lot of work.
vibration speaker 4Ω 25W.jpg
Example:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09NBF2KZV/?coliid=I2XN231AGENV4B&colid=3KJXC98D4AAKH&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Basically, the price doesn't matter. - Because the speakers are the lowest cost on this project...

Greetings from Austria
Thomas

farmersplow

Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:40 pm

Addition to the vibration speakers:
High weight and complex assembly equipment is required (no screw connections)

JoelSD

Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:51 am

My first attempt were tweeters with crossover, Peiying PY-T59. I saw in this forum some people and on youtube too suggesting these pair.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PY-T59-Peiying-Speakers-tweeter-neodymium/dp/B00XJIL7PM

Do you think they are enough to continue testing?

Best regards!
Joel

farmersplow

Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:38 pm

For the first steps - OK

JoelSD

Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:07 am

Hey!

I'm back for the project. I am starting to build a new cutterhead...more detailed and accurate than the first one.
About the exciters, what do you think about this one? Or I should stay with the tweeters?

https://www.soundimports.eu/en/dayton-audio-daex30hesf-4.html?id=76847138&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA6byqBhAWEiwAnGCA4C5-wkTkJ_kZFoyftHxexDmrRti_9mXlveYzZAvMiA4YZmEMGo_5lhoCZZcQAvD_BwE

Best regards!
JoelSD

JoelSD

Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:20 pm

Hello Trolls!

Some progression here. I made a new cutterhead and I did some experiment with the embossing technique (or tried it).

Some pictures of the new cutterhead:

I was impressed for the result, this is a raw embossing...I didn't use a corrective EQ, only Riaa.
You can listen here the original and my embossing:

Embossed:
Embossed record.mp3
Original:
Original pressed record.mp3
The sound is very clean without any noise in this part but I have some issue with distortion in some peaks of the music and it sounds 'boxy'. Have you have any tips to correct this?

I used tugsten needle and My Shank disc. Heat between 45/50º and used a lot of wax!

I'm very happy to get this modest result because I am the worst being into mechanical / technological stuff and my hands tremble a lot.

Let me know what do you think. :)

JoelSD

JoelSD

Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:18 pm

Hello!

Updates:

Some new cuts with some EQ experiments.
Second emboss My Shaknk Disc (First EQ).mp3
This one I used some corrective EQ...a little bit better than the first,
Last emboss (My shank Disc) 2nd EQ.mp3
My last one has a better EQ, but I had some issues during the embossing...maybe the needle is a little bit tired.

Let me know what you think. :)

JoelSD

Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:08 pm

Hey Trolls!

My last cut of today, a little bit better but my needle is dying and I got some noise of course.
Emboss 3 - 28 NOV.mp3
I am using a tungsten needle on My Shank disc, the angle is 60º of the needle...and is with 'cone' format, I will try with triangle to know what I get.I heated the disc between 40 / 45 degrees. I got less noise with 60º!

Well, some improvement to get...but I think it is starting sound something.

JoelSD

Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:14 pm

Hello!

I did some changes in the needle and torque. I got some tips from Nedelcu, I take off the screw in the torque to make the head more lighter. Actually, it worked. I can control better the weight when I touch the needle on the disc. I changed my needle (influenced by EposLab) with a alumminium shank and a diamond tip (triangle) with 100º degree...more or less. (See the pictures)
20231213_195640.jpg
20231213_195630.jpg
20231213_195653.jpg
20231213_195617.jpg
My last emboss:
Emboss - Diamond Tip 13 dezembro.mp3
I hope get some tips from you guys, I still have some EQ issues, specialy in mids EQ-

Joel

JoelSD

Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:58 am

HI Trolls!

My mistake of the last file because was digitalized in MONO.
Stereo one here:
Corte 13 dezembro STEREO.mp3
Joel

JoelSD

Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:23 am

Hi!

I did my last cut yesterday (Metal track) and I'm very happy with this result. I use a carbon fiber to hold the needle (I am experimenting glue the needle to the torque, it is not the best way...but..) and I start using only diamond tip between 95-100 degree angle. The speaker cones are made by 3d printing, PLA plastic. The volume is not so loud, but not bad at all.
Corte-Omitir-28-Dez-2-Stereo.mp3
Best wishes for the new year 2024!
Joel