New Lathe in Berlin PSU Conversion question

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PLS

New Lathe in Berlin PSU Conversion question

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:53 am

Hello my dear lathe trolls,

This is my first post and hereby i wanna introduce a new Lathe to be put in service in Berlin Germany. Im in the process of setting it up (im not the owner) and have a question regarding the Power Supplies-

I found out that their voltage is fixed and sadly non switchable (what i hoped) to 110V as we bought the machine from Atlanta. We now have to re convert them to the german 220V or use a 110/220 step up transformer, or can it be re soldered inside maybe? but that might be an issue because of the 50/60hz difference. What would you recommend? Its a VMS 66 with upgraded cutting computer.

Thanx a lot

Looking forward to communicate here and find new contacts

Kind regards
ALexander Ott

dmills

Re: New Lathe in Berlin PSU Conversion question

Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:38 am

Transformer, but note that it is step-DOWN, not up!

If you are running a Lyrec motor instead of the upgrade you will need to put it on a variable frequency drive as it will run slow at 50Hz, so a VFD feeding this is probably indicated unless it has a 50Hz option, not a big deal in the scale of things.

I am slightly surprised that the power transformers cannot be rewired for 230V, I would have expected there to be dual primaries that support this use, but it is not in the grand scheme of things a big deal to sort out.