Dilemma: Restore or Sell Recordio?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JohnCn

Dilemma: Restore or Sell Recordio?

Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:52 am

Hello,

Newbie to the cutting edge, so to speak, but a long-time vintage amplifier and microphone hound. I particularly like the roll-your-own PA systems from the 1940s and 50s that helped blues music be electrified and popularized in clubs.

About ten years ago I purchased (sight unseen) a Wilcox-Gay Recordio 6B10 (I think) that looked from Craig's List pictures to be in good shape. The listing said it had a microphone, and that's what I was after. There were no pictures of the microphone. Sadly, it did have a microphone, but it wasn't functional, and wasn't original to the model. :lol:

These combination players / lathes are a fascinating niche for me, and I love the look and feel of this combination of "modern" desktop design, tubes, glowing Bakelite buttons, and the "magic eye" of this unit. The usual model identifier plate is missing, but I am pretty sure it's a 6B10 from comparing pictures and wiring diagrams found on these forums. I can imagine in my mind how it was used, and the ability to record from radio and microphone would have made it a fantastic addition to the right family's living room back in the day.

Oh, it's cosmetically VERY nice for its age, and the innards are relatively very clean and wiring and caps looks generally crisp. But, it has a loud hum that overpowers the speakers when fired up. The platter turns, the radio seems to be doing...something when the dial is turned, but no music is playing audibly.

It seems from the Newbie guide on the site here that this unit is going to take some money to refurbish. There is an L-70 Astatic cartridge from after the move to Conneaut from Youngstown, Ohio. The cutter head is not labeled that I can read, but Westech shows the X-26 or X-29 as being good potential matches. No stylus that I can see sticking out of the cartridge. I have the wiring diagram (still attached inside), and have located a schematic posted by others here. I have not tested the tubes yet, but most seem to glow...lol.

If this is a $250+ project, my wife is going to be STRONGLY advocating for it to be sold, not refurbished. :roll: Any advice appreciated!

Regards,

John