Rek-o-kut Challenger

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Davevr

Rek-o-kut Challenger

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:57 am

Hi all,

It’s been a while since I last posted something here. Main reason is that my Challenger has been completely overhauled by a technician, and I just picked it up.

The amp has overhauled, so it plays wonderful. Also a new speaker is fitted and the machine runs at the right speed for European standards.

I tried to cut something for the very first time just now. I expected to get nothing, but I managed to get something on the disc. But it sounds awful; tons of noise and very, very far away the music is audible. I tried different input settings, but it doesn’t get any better. The cutting grooves look very grey, like something isn’t going as it is supposed to be.

What are the ‘challenges’ :wink: here? Could it be the cutting stylus is too far gone? (I can hear the audio through the cutting head by the way). Any tips are much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

piaptk

Re: Rek-o-kut Challenger

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:25 am

The biggest problem is probably:
1) Bad Needle
2) inappropriate match between the needle and the blank
3) too much weight/bad angle

I sell tech support calls (I can probably give you more knowledge in 2 hours than you would accumulate in 2 years digging through the enormous amount of information here) and Embossing needles/blanks that are widely used with great success. If you are interested, DM me.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com