To the wannabe newbies out there talk to this chap first!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ayupchap

To the wannabe newbies out there talk to this chap first!

Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Hi all

This is kind of meant to be more of a note to the super forum newbies out there who are trying to get into this game as I recently have. If you are trying to get a foothold in this at first confusing world and looking for a lathe of just geral advice I couldn't recommend piaptk enough. I was in a situation where I knew nothing at all and bought a lathe from someone a little while ago and without going into the details is sucked and was a huge waste of money and felt a bit cheated. I was kind of annoyed and upset but then found piaptk and his website www.recordlatheparts.com and thankfully he's awesome and sorted me right out. Not only did he talk me through the issues he gave me a decent 101 on lathes over the phone. He also fixed up a great starter lathe with a great head and has spent LOTS of time with me getting it up and running. He says the supports unlimited but I hope I don't ever make him regret that haha. Anyhow I am so happy and honestly the cuts I'm making sound great I think. One of the things I loved was that I was given an EQ curve specific for my exact cutting head which was made from some pink noise and I used this as my base on all recordings I am making. I don't know exactly everything I just said but trust me when I say it sounds good and clearly is getting the best sound from the head you can off the bat without any other change even being made yet. I was also given an intro to using audio software to apply this curve, make some changes and use it to cut from, something I had no idea about at all. I've honestly saved what could be months and months of playing around to get anywhere near the level of cuts I'm managing right now. I have a lot to learn but feel good where its going.

Anyway, thanks www.recordlatheparts.com and piaptk here on the society of lathe trolls forum for helping me big time get into the game and taking the time to patiently sort me out via text, email, facetime and phone. If you feel like dipping in your toe and thats why you found the forum and then ending up feeling super confused about it all, hit this chap up you won't regret it. Definetly read the guide he's made found near the top of the newbies forum thread here.

trendkiller

Re: To the wannabe newbies out there talk to this chap first!

Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:38 pm

That's really cool! I love this forum!

soeffingodly

Re: To the wannabe newbies out there talk to this chap first!

Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:58 pm

+1 for Mike/piaptk - He's the man
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."