6N Restoration

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Lotus503

6N Restoration

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:51 pm

Just wanted to post a few photos of our Presto 6N project. After being out of service for almost 60 years, it's starting to look like a lathe again after removing all the dirt. Made a custom plinth to mount it in, and we're not too far off from running tests to see if it will actually cut a record.

If anyone can point us to where we can find the schematics for a Presto A93 amplifier, we would very much appreciate it. I tried to contact Mr. Graves that has the prestohistory.com website to see if he still carried reprints of the user's manual, but his email doesn't seem to be active.

Thanks for the help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

piaptk

Re: 6N Restoration

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:24 pm

Dont have the schematic, but a piece of advice. DO NOT rest the overhead on the feedscrew!!! Only on the back bar. You can screw up the clutch that ghe feedscrew attaches to (the only piece on the whole lathe that cant be remade relatively easily), and if you rest it on the back bar, you will be able to remove the platter without moving the overhead.

Good luck!
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Lotus503

Re: 6N Restoration

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:19 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. It was resting on the back bar, but must have been moved while fitting it to the plinth. We had to take it in and out several times. I think I'll remove the feed screw until we get it completely mounted...