Help To Identify Noise

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PMST

Help To Identify Noise

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:14 am

I have a T560, musically cuts are coming out really nice but im struggling to get rid of a little bit of noise and wondered if anyone could help ID it? its quiet, ive had recorded it very high to get the full effect of the sound, but very annoying none the less!

Heres a download to the noise, ive also attached it but just in case that does not work: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fb8ayeyg1fj1ihc/NOISE.mp3?dl=0

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2bitcomputer

Re: Help To Identify Noise

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:35 am

That sounds a lot like the noise I hear when my stylus heater is off...

PMST

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:41 am

I am about to go into the studio so will check that out, i'm reasonably new to it so been going very easy, if at all with heat. I will monitor closely with headphones and see how i get on and will report back with news, thanks for the help!

PMST

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:43 am

It was a heating issue in the end, giving more stylus head got rid of it, thanks!

PMST

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:26 am

So, got some more questions with helping to identify noise! Firstly, depending on stylus heat, either 20 or 30 on the dial (I know these don't mean much but just for reference) I still get a noise, but it changes and wondering if anyone had any more tips? The noise is very quiet, but can be audible in quiet parts on the intro and outro of a song.

My main questions are firstly, is this noise caused mainly by the ground? its not going above -40db so only audible in parts. Or is it user error and the kind of noise that can be fixed?

I have attached a screen shot showing the noise is mid/side view along with a mp3 of the noise, firstly it starts with heating at 20, then stops, then heating at 30. I have ground noise to fix, you can see around 50hz and then the next harmonic in the picture in the mid and sides, but wondered if this noise sounds mainly like ground issues to anyone, or whether its something you have come across and is user area and sortable in another way....

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PMST

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:11 am

After removing everything from the circuit (computer/monitors etc), I have managed to get mains hum down, so 50hz is cleaner but still something in the sides which seems much more broadband, also still around 80hz is noise so wondering if these are down to something else. Maybe a stylus issue? Its a pretty new stylus but maybe user error? Or maybe this is normal, if anyone happens to know more on this let me know! Again screen shot and audio attached