Lyrec SV2 W8 restoration

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

LyrecLyrics

Lyrec SV2 W8 restoration

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:48 pm

So a little introduction may be appropriate:

A little more than a year ago, I was very lucky to be given a Lyrec SV2 W8. As some of you may know, this was made as a portable recording unit. 'Portable' is not to be taken lightly. This thing consists of a lot of different parts including a separate motor weighing more than 70 pounds, a vintage Nilfisk vacuum cleaner (for suction), and old metal stand for three feet of spacing between the lathe and the motor as well as an aperture lamp for viewing your freshly cut grooves, a bunch of blank acetate discs etc. It is interesting to notice that the unit was originally built for 78 rpm only, but this one was later converted by Lyrec themselves to run 33,3 rpm as well. The motor is a two-speed three phase Lyrec unit.

I'm currently restoring the electronics in the SV2 amp and power supply swapping the old electrolytics with new ones. A few of the components in the amplifier were date stamped 1945, so it's an old machine. I do have some experience in repairing old radios, so hopefully I can make this thing work again. I'm totally new to lathe cutting, but hopefully I'll learn this, too. This thing will not make stereo hifi records, and that's just fine with me 8)

Any information and documentation would be much appreciated. For now, here's an image of some of the main parts just after receiving them :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trailerparkjesus

Re: Lyrec SV2 W8 restoration

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:27 am

Very cool! No docs here but post more pics!

Podorvanov

Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:10 pm

Hi. What happened to the machine, what is its further history? Did you do it?

Podorvanov

Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:10 pm

LyrecLyrics wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:48 pm
So a little introduction may be appropriate:

A little more than a year ago, I was very lucky to be given a Lyrec SV2 W8. As some of you may know, this was made as a portable recording unit. 'Portable' is not to be taken lightly. This thing consists of a lot of different parts including a separate motor weighing more than 70 pounds, a vintage Nilfisk vacuum cleaner (for suction), and old metal stand for three feet of spacing between the lathe and the motor as well as an aperture lamp for viewing your freshly cut grooves, a bunch of blank acetate discs etc. It is interesting to notice that the unit was originally built for 78 rpm only, but this one was later converted by Lyrec themselves to run 33,3 rpm as well. The motor is a two-speed three phase Lyrec unit.

I'm currently restoring the electronics in the SV2 amp and power supply swapping the old electrolytics with new ones. A few of the components in the amplifier were date stamped 1945, so it's an old machine. I do have some experience in repairing old radios, so hopefully I can make this thing work again. I'm totally new to lathe cutting, but hopefully I'll learn this, too. This thing will not make stereo hifi records, and that's just fine with me 8)

Any information and documentation would be much appreciated. For now, here's an image of some of the main parts just after receiving them :D
Hi. What happened to the machine, what is its further history? Did you do it?