New to cutting records

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

VinylCafeSL

New to cutting records

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:20 am

Hi, I'm from Sri Lanka and just got a hold of a Lathe. I think its a Presto Cutter head.
I'm totally new to this but want to learn and try to put this unit to use.

I have a few question that maybe someone could help me with (I have attached some pictures of the set up)

The cutter head is 8 ohms and is mono (i think). I'm using a Technics amp (25watts) to send the audio signal. Will this amplifier be suitable?
I tried a cut but got only high static noise. There is also a screeching noise when the stylus starts cutting - is that normal?
I faintly hear the audio from the cutter head.

In order to get better cuts out of this do I need additional equipment?
Also is there a coil of some sorts that should heat the stylus as I've heard about this.
Have ordered some new stylus from eBay out of a Russian seller, perhaps my stylus is also blunt.

I got this unit from a garage sale and no one here seems to know or understand how to work it.
Please help me if you could.

Thank very much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

boryo

Re: New to cutting records

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:15 am

Hi,

I can not help you on cutting because I'm new just like you but can you post some more pictures of the overhead in the area of the big black piece of metal where the cutterhead is attacked? I think I have the same overhead and maybe there is something missing on mine.

Best regards,
Bob

The Shank

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:30 am

Hi

Check our website (the one in signature) to
see diamond stylus and blank records

Cheers
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

piaptk

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:23 pm

That's a Presto Mrc or 6d overhead.

Those Russian styli are meant to cut these strange plastic postcards and don't have the correct facets to cut a lacquer.

I would recommend starting with embossing needles. First, get some tungstens frpm TheFarmerJohn///at//gmailll///dawtcawm. And emboss to polycarbonate plastic. Then move up to the sapphire embossers that I sell (dm me)... then when you get those dialed, get into the hifi diamonds from myshank.

Also, you will have a hard time with wow and flutter with that technics turntable as a cutting platter.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

soeffingodly

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:51 am

Welcome!

I am also a relative newbie but MyShank and piaptk know what they are talking about! I am currently moving on up to the sapphire embossing needles. (mine just landed) Once I'm there I'll be rocking diamonds from MyShank.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."