Cheapest high torque turntable for cutting/embossing?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Fetish

Cheapest high torque turntable for cutting/embossing?

Thu May 24, 2018 6:16 am

As I understand, for DIY lathe high torque turntable needed. Problem is that most new turntables (Technics or Stableton) with high torque (about 4,5 kg) cost too much. This is ridiculous I dont need hi-end turntables for home-made DIY lathe, honestly I just need good motor. As I heard some old turntables have high torque direct drive motors, but I cant find more information about them. More of that, for the most of old turntables I cant even find any information about torque. So can you guys help me to find cheapest high torque turntable?
Sorry for my English.

Gridlock

Re: Cheapest high torque turntable for cutting/embossing?

Thu May 24, 2018 6:54 am

Look up transcription turntable on eBay also broadcast turntable. I wanna say...garrard ? Someone else chime in I dunno. I know those old idler driven ones have a shit load of torque for no reason and it doesn't matter if there's a tone arm or not because you're just going to put a bunch of crazy guy stuff on there anyway and hopefully you can find one for less than a million dollars because eBay sellers think there hot stuff
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

Fetish

Thu May 24, 2018 7:47 am

Ok, thank you, but where i can find actual torque. For an example i find cheap Fisher turntable, but there is no torque information about it. Is there is any resources where i can find this info?
Sorry for my English.

markrob

Thu May 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi,

You may be hard pressed to find any torque specs on old rim drive consumer turntables unless they were higher end units. The typical Gates broadcast TT did provide the specs. They tended to use the motors like the Bodine NYC34 (1/25 HP) that you would find in the Presto 6N lathes. These had tons of torque. Most consumer direct drive TT's are very low as compared to this standard. Even the SP10 was only spec'ed at 10 Kg-cm. A playback TT just doesn't need to provide that much torque, so they tend to be marginal for this application. Especially if you are planning to emboss rather than cut. If you go with an old Garrard, Thornes, or Lenco you will probably be ok, but you may have to spend some bucks to get one. The old VM's may also work for you and they are not so in demand by audiophiles.

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/vm_rec_changers_turntables.asp

Mark

Fetish

Fri May 25, 2018 12:48 am

Thank you guys, thats help a lot.
Sorry for my English.

clemsi

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:57 am

Hi
Try to find a Numark TTX or other High torque Numark. Cost 200€ here in France.
4,5 kgf.cm. No stroboscope.
Clem