First Post - Starting out in the UK

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Glucking

First Post - Starting out in the UK

Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi Lathe Trolls,

Just joined your forum after intermittent browsing over the last year or so. My background is as a sound engineer (studio recording and mixing) though more recently it has become more of a hobby with more of my efforts going in to my own music and an IT day job. I’m fascinated by the process of cutting vinyl and acetates and would like to get advice on starting out to create one-off records. I’ve noticed that most of the portable machines and posts seem to be from the USA. As I’m based on the South Coast of the UK I’d be especially interested in types of lathes more readily source-able in the UK. From my reading on the forum so far a Presto K8 sounds like a good starting point but seem rare, especially in Europe. Is there a European equivalent or would the Vinyl Recorder be a better direction?

Thanks for reading

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikc

Re: First Post - Starting out in the UK

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:56 am

Hello,

I am also based in UK, and I got my lathe from the UK on ebay. They don't come up very often. I got a 1959 MSS lathe (British made from Reading) . I think Sugden (from UK) also made lathes.
I remember there being a lot of import TAX and postage on lathes from the US.

Here's My MSS in action, I have mainly done embossing but have started cutting too:
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

roy68

Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:01 am

That is really impressive!

piaptk

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:03 am

Seems like i see mostly of MSS and LeDiscographie/Pierre Clement lathes pop up in europe/uk.

I sell lathes and can usually be convinced to deliver and install them in the UK. Delivery is usually cheaper than shipping and paying import duties. All of my lathes are fully mechanically restored and ready to roll.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com