can a 5c head sound good ???

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

maximoscortes

can a 5c head sound good ???

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:00 pm

hello trolls

i buy a presto k8, with a 5c head, i have a lot of problem with this, broken tubes by bad shippin,

burn coil because to much power

motor noise

the head have a metal styluls in microscope look fine

but can't make that sound good.. :(

any have soe tips to make good recording with 5c head ???

in my country power is 220v 50hz, the motor run more slow, .... to record i set this:

1. audacity inverse riia to audio
2. audacity change velocity (-40) to match to 45rpm in play mode
3. 100w ligth
4. set diferent angle and heigth of the cutterhead
5. petg sheets
6. computer to dbx eq to la2a to phonic power bridge output.
6. put down head
7. play song

i can't get louder recording and i can't make high frecuencyes

some picture to look,

thanx for any response to make better recording, !

salu2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maximoscortes

(SOLVED))) can a 5c head sound good ???

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:20 pm

hello trolls

i can solved the problem

the inside of de head need replace all flexibles part, i use a type of rubber and teflon and the head now with a proper eq sound "good"

this have a limit in response, but i record disc with 50hz in a motor of 60hz, change the speed of the song and can play it in 45rpm with some highs more that 33rpm

now need make service to a motor, i have rumble

salu2 !!!

symatic

Re: can a 5c head sound good ???

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 am

hi

my 5c sounds like a bad 78rpm record fro mthe 20's.... but i think its because I only have metal stylus'.

I plan on buying a proper sapphire stylus to test. the rest of the 5C was fully restored by Todd at deepgrooves.

There are some recordings on this forum made with 5C which sound really nice...

symatic

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:40 am

mine's sounding a lot beter these days but needs more adjustment im sure I can get more out of it. using PIAPTK sapphire embossing stylii now on polycarbonate blanks and using Turtle Wax

soeffingodly

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:46 am

symatic wrote:mine's sounding a lot beter these days but needs more adjustment im sure I can get more out of it. using PIAPTK sapphire embossing stylii now on polycarbonate blanks and using Turtle Wax
I also use his sapphires and emboss on polycarbonate. But I use lighter fluid instead of the Turtle Wax. (Ronson Fluid) Also, I run an ionizer in the room for a while before I start cutting and then let that cook in the background. I am getting some really good sounding cuts. However, I'm also cutting with a 1C head on both my K8 and 6N.

Maybe look to upgrade the head to a 1C/1D?
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

symatic

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:45 am

I'll post a file soon to show what I'm getting out of mine, would be really helpful to compare what you guys are getting if you wouldnt mind posting audio examples of your cuts?

symatic

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:47 am

also - how are you guys applying lighter fluid? just pour some on and spread it around with a fine cloth???

soeffingodly

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:01 pm

symatic wrote:also - how are you guys applying lighter fluid? just pour some on and spread it around with a fine cloth???
I use a dropper bottle: (4oz is just an example)
https://www.amazon.com/Amber-Glass-Bottle-glass-Dropper/dp/B004TS3NOO?ref_=Oct_RAsinC_Ajax_318067011_5&pf_rd_r=E0138V7VZP35TVJV1ANN&pf_rd_p=dc09bd76-2291-5906-83a9-1291fe8d0ed6&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=318067011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Typically I wipe it off with some kind of rag. Could be an old t-shirt or whatever.

I still need to hook up my rig to record my cut playback into digital form but I'd be game because I've been slacking on putting any effort into that piece. I've been doing it by ear and while I've gotten way better I do burn a lot of plastic. But I like messing with knobs and whatnot by hand.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

piaptk

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:30 am

About 80% of the “farm fresh” 5cs (and RCA Tombstone) heads I’ve ever found have had volume and distortion problems, similar to Maximos. The rubber armature damper has disintegrated over the years and either gotten sticky and welded the armature in place, or is allowing metal on metal contact of the pivot.

You can fix it if you are careful. You can pull the armature out, (being very conscientious of the coil (most of the heads I’ve gotten had working coils and just needed cleaning), scrape as much gunk off the armature and the mating plate, throw the armature in a $30 ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, and put it back together.

I repaired 3 of them yesterday and have one more to go today. I will post photos later today.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com