Why would a 12" Record...

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mrlogikal

Why would a 12" Record...

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:57 am

Why would a 12" Lathe Cut Record cost $100 to have made?

$45-$50 per side, seems to be the general price range that almost all cutting services run. Making a short run-limited edition version of a SINGLE completely redundant and possibly counterproductive for anyone on the buyers side of the transaction. You cannot sell a Vinyl Record Single to anyone, anywhere, at a price that would render any profit from that. Bottom line, the artist will be selling 1-4 songs all together for a price that rivals most professionally pressed box sets of any media format. Just to do something special for their fans.

I am fairly new and I am still learning the In's and Outs of the Cutting arena. So I would just like to know, what makes this cost so much? (Example) If a 7" is $15 and a 10" is $25 and a 12" is $45 and the all have the same material on them, where does this incredible price jump come from? I would just like to know for when I start offering services to people in my local scene. Thanks for taking the time to read.

powerstrip

Re: Why would a 12" Record...

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Look at price for getting a dub plate cut at a professional house.

Get some kid who bought a presto k-8 last year to cut you a piece of lexan for $25.

then get a dub plate cut by Richard Simpson for $100.

Then tell me the difference in audio quality and playback quality.

The kid with the K-8 is embossing in mono on a $2000 setup with 1 year experience.

Richard Simpson is cutting stereo feedback on a $100K machine and has 50 years of experience.

ALSO

setup charges.

processing your audio to prepare for lathe

test cut

quality control

all for one record?

mrlogikal

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:13 am

I understand the certain value comes with experience, I don't want a record cut by someone who doesn't have any experience. Who would want something like that? I am simply asking what the specifics are that determine its value? I do not have the experience that probably anyone on this board has, and I'll probably end up in a position where I am going to have to figure out most of answers myself. Nobody in the Rap Scene (NOT that radio crap), is bridging the gap between Artist and Cutter, that I know of. I am eventually going to do that, here in Colorado, but I couldn't understand how everyone was arriving at their prices they're charging people. So you made a record for an Artist that can't sell to anyone but an eccentric audiophile who can afford to spend a hundred dollars on a single... Unless i'm missing something?

I am not trying to offend anyone or get anyone excited. I just want to understand how this works. Because I have spent a rediculous amount of money on music in all formats, from a massive range of artists and I still can't justify spending that much on one record as a fan or as an artist. Or am I asking a question that is taboo?

Sillitoe

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:00 am

Hi Mrlogikal,

I think of lathecuts in a similar way to limited edition art prints.

They need to be marketed in such a way (by both the disccutter and the artist/label/individual who wishes to sell the lathecut record to the public) so customers understand what they're getting and why the costs are higher.

There's been lots posted on the specifics and trade offs of lathecuts vs pressed records, the economics are quite logikal. :wink:

Cheers
James