Hi. Just curious...

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aluminumfalcone

Hi. Just curious...

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi. I was inspired to build a lathe after seeing David Nelson's videos on YouTube a few years ago (which sadly are no longer available), but I have somewhat been intrigued by opcode66's work as well.

However, while I am designing my own homemade lathe, I have a few questions:

1. It's a known fact that playing microgroove LP's and 45's requires a 0.7 mill stylus, whereas most 78's require a 3 mill stylus. However, while I was researching, I found that the stylus is actually smaller than the groove on the record. I am still trying to figure out the relationship between groove size and play stylus size. Can someone help me out in this regard?

2. I understand that in order to produce the lateral modulation required when a center-panned mono signal is applied to the speakers/transducers, one channel must be wired out of phase. The question is, which one?

3. In David's videos, he used an acoustic Victrola stylus ground to a fine point so as to indent an LP-size microgroove. However, the conical shape of the Victrola needle limits the high frequency response. My hypothesis is if I grind my stylus into an elliptical shape, then, just like an elliptical play stylus, the spectrum will be broader. Is my logic correct?

4. If I decide to actually cut my discs instead of indenting, is it possible to make a chisel-shaped cutting stylus without having to spend hundreds on real cutting styli? (The goal of this project is to not spend much money).

5. In David's videos, he uses clear polycarbonate sheets (aka Makrolon/Lexan) which are sold as substitutes for window glass. That's all fine and good, but I want my records to both look authentic and also give the ability to actually see the grooves (in the case of LP albums). I've tried researching for black opaque polycarbonate online but haven't had much luck. Does anyone know of a good source!

Thanks in advance for your kind welcome!

piaptk

Re: Hi. Just curious...

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:13 pm

There are plenty of people on Here that sell black embossing discs.
Myshank.com
Recordblanks.com
Vinylike.de

And black poly or soft pvc can probably be found locally if you go to a plastics manufacturing chain. Usually they have to get it special ordered on shipments from their main hubs.

Also if the goal of the project is to not spend much money, you chose the wrong project. :-)
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Aluminumfalcone

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:35 pm

piaptk wrote:There are plenty of people on Here that sell black embossing discs.
Also if the goal of the project is to not spend much money, you chose the wrong project. :-)
OK. So I mis-spoke. I meant to say "Is it possible to make a chisel cutting stylus for less than the cost of buying professional cutting styli?" I agree, the lathe's initial construction is a money-intensive job that will take months to build if I don't want to go broke!

Also--nice to see someone here in my neck of the woods--I'm in Seattle!

Fela Borbone

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:35 am

Hello,
If you are woking at tigth budget maybe better start indenting (embossing) before cutting, as you can easy break a 200 euros stylus. You can use policarbonate or even old cds first.
1- The playback stylus riddes the walls of the groove,not the bottom, thats why recordingg stylus is sharper.
2- Theres a interesant thread in this forum about it, but iis not very important wich one, as far as one is pulling while the other push inn mono.
3- cones are easy to grind, and a rreversed triangle sounnd better to me., an no neeed to lean the cutter.
4 -emmbossing=cheap
5-Piaptk said it all

I'll sstart with cheap, if you cant spend money now and change to other materias in the future.

Fela Borbone

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:40 am

Dooes anybody grind their own cutting stylus at home (no pros)? I tried with hss,but even well polished is too noisy..

fredbissnette

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:45 am

you can do cheap but to get moderate results requires a small investment

i have built a mid fi setup and spent about 1200 dollars

embossing is the way to start and you can get great results

black is hard to work with for many reasons but the main one is heat

cheers and good luck
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

piaptk

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:18 pm

If you are a jeweler or have serious lapidary equipment and skills, and have access to ruby rod, then you should be able to make cutting styli. Otherwise, you are better off just paying the $120 and lettting the pros handle it. But really, you are better off embossing. Much cheaper, lower stakes and once you get the hang of it, pretty damn good sound.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Aluminumfalcone

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:36 pm

Fela Borbone wrote:Hello,
If you are woking at tigth budget maybe better start indenting (embossing) before cutting, as you can easy break a 200 euros stylus. You can use policarbonate or even old cds first.
1- The playback stylus riddes the walls of the groove,not the bottom, thats why recordingg stylus is sharper.
2- Theres a interesant thread in this forum about it, but iis not very important wich one, as far as one is pulling while the other push inn mono.
3- cones are easy to grind, and a rreversed triangle sounnd better to me., an no neeed to lean the cutter.
4 -emmbossing=cheap
5-Piaptk said it all

I'll sstart with cheap, if you cant spend money now and change to other materias in the future.
I get it now--start simple and gradually begin upgrading. Thanks.