Are wow problems inevitable when using a 1210. For cutting?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

status66uk

Are wow problems inevitable when using a 1210. For cutting?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Im hoping to get a complete vinyl cutting set up in the next few weeks, The deck used for cutting is a Technics 1210 but has been modified, Im worried about wow issues after reading about it on various topics and my ears are super sensitive to wow! , The guy whis selling said itll be fine as long as the stylus heat is right, I have no reason not to believe him as hes a genuine guy,

I was just wondering does anyone on here use a modified 1210 with no wow problems?

handcut

Re: Are wow problems inevitable when using a 1210. For cutti

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Modified in what way? Electrically? Mechanically?

If you cut very narrow grooves the wow is barely noticeable most of the time, but it is still there - strings, pianos and your strobe light will all confirm this. Narrow grooves come with their own set of problems, however. If you want to cut wider/deeper, the wow becomes unbearable very quickly. Whether or not slight wow is an issue is up to you and ultimately the listener.

I tried the electronic (resistor swap) mod and didn't like it. Then I got Souri's "precision plate" and it made a huge difference. If I cut a 1kHz test tone, there's a *very* slight wow.

I'm working on a DIY high-torque turntable. As soon as I have something worth sharing here, I will!

fredbissnette

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:50 pm

i tried a 1200 and i modded it to have the most feedback to the platter via resistors and i could not get the wow to go away
i tried a hanpin oem(stanton st150) that was worse

ive secured two broadcast decks with very heavy platters and idler wheels and 1/10 hp motors

ill let you know how that goes but im pretty sure ill be ok

only thing i know for sure that works well is sp10 mk2/3
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

status66uk

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:35 pm

I cant remember what he said the mods were but i can ask,

Ive had a sample LP cut and i detected wow on the first track on each side, One side a lot more noticable than the other, This could have been due to not enough stylus heat or it could be the 1210 issue, As the sides move on, the wow goes away, ive recorded wavs of both opening tracks and both closing tracks, If anyone would like to hear them please PM your email address and ill send a wetransfer link,

Id appreciate as many peoples opinions as possible as im about to shell out a large sum for this set up, but maybe i should get the deck changed before i do?

Thanks in advance

fredbissnette

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:40 am

my experience with a 1200 was for embossing only but i assume its similar for cutting

the wow went away as you got further in the record

i have switched to rim drive and i know it will have a higher noise floor but im willing to deal with that and not have wow

a technics sp 10 mk2 or 3 is the solution for quiet cutting and warble free audio i believe

cheers

fred
Instagram @styluspressurerecords