K10 Beginner

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Nodnarb03

K10 Beginner

Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Howdy! My name is Brandon and I recently purchased a Presto K10. So far I have had decent cuts on my first few runs but I've also noticed a tendency for some skips towards the end of songs. Is this common and/or is this also a result of there being less distance for the needle to travel the further in the head moves to the center pin? Thanks!

piaptk

Re: K10 Beginner

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:00 am

Which of the k10 feedscrews are you using? Microgroove (210lpi)? What type of cutting are you doing? Sapphire on lacquer, or embossing stylus on poly? What type of embossing method are you using? Are you sure you aren't cutting too loud if you are using microgroove?
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Nodnarb03

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:40 am

Thanks for the assistance! I'm 99% sure I'm using the standard feedscrew while using a sapphire needle to emboss on polycarbonate. Not really sure what my embossing method is though...what exactly do you mean by that and hopefully I can confirm? I'm still working on getting my levels right, but I don't think it was too loud. If I were using a microgroove and cutting too loud, is that known to cause skipping towards the end of cuts?

piaptk

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:13 am

I'll call you and help you figure it out...
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com