Newb questions

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Flexinoodle

Newb questions

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:37 am

While saving up for the Souri, I managed to get a Vestax VRX fairly cheap, yes i know you all hate them, this has nothing at all to do with that, please don't go there.

I am planing to get the My Shanks needles and blanks, however, while i learn and make any repairs i need to the maschine, i want some super cheap needles (It come with non)
Anybody know where to get some ? I see a bunch of stuff on ebay for $10-15 but unsure if they will work at all, I just don't want to kill good needles from My Shank while getting set up.
I have already ordered a non contact heat gun, but what heat lamp are people recommending now, searching here doesn't bring up a great deal, most people are just running a standard light fixture with a 100w bulb, is that about right ?
What kind of scale do i need ? I have a cheap one from china that i bought for setting up stylus on my turntables a while back, but it isn't that great, so any suggestions ?
What kind of microscope should i be looking for ?
What brushes are people using, paintbrushes or what ?
Any other tools i need ?
I'm in the UK too if that is useful.

Are there any good primers that are must see or must read towards getting started and set up ?

A couple of technical questions
1 When i turn up the inputs all the way on the VRX i hear a noise coming from the cutterhead (Like a whine) is that normal ? This is with no input at all, haven't had chance to wire up any sound to it yet.
2 What is the best way to test all the various parts of the machine, the deck rotates but doesn't have a timing light for me to check speed, the cutting arm moves when engaged, the heater current meter is actually gone, fallen apart by the looks, so i need to replace that, the ionizer truns on but i have no idea how you test such a thing.

Cheers for any help

Flexinoodle

Re: Newb questions

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:57 am

Oh the center weight is missing too, any particular weight recommended, there are a ton of them on ebay haha

Jccc

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Hello Flexinoodle this is tenshun from DV.

As for your cutting head, have you tried and disconnect it from the vestax and connect it to a working amplifier?

The sound you are hearing could be a loose connection. I would try and disconnect it from the vestax.

Try connecting it to a amp and turn the volume up on the amp with some music playing. You should be able to hear the music playing in the cuttinghead.

If you can hear music then the cutting head will probably be ok.

Flexinoodle

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:00 pm

I will give that a try, I really need to track down some cheap needles, no idea what sort of shank it is

SueDenim

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:28 pm

http://www.myshank.com/en/16-vestax

Not cheap but superb quality.
Steven should be able to tell you the geometry of the shank too if you ask him nicely ;)

Flexinoodle

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Yeah i did say in the original post that i planned on getting that, but i want something cheaper to test and repair the machine.

nikc

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:37 am

for Heat lamp I used a bulb that is normal used for keeping reptiles warm. they get very hot.
I presume you have got something by now.
I'm not sure if mine is getting the disc hot enough i think its about 28 c or 82 f.
Do you know a recommended temperature?
I haven't got a heat gun, but am using one of those bendy strips you measure a child's temperature on their forehead!

The sound on my grooves are quiet on play back, i was wondering if the heat was a factor.

regards
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records