Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Jonny Trombone

Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:22 am

Hello
I'm completely new to all of this but I'm very keen to cut straight on to vinyl and need advice on what hardware to buy.
Always been fascinated by the technology but I didn't realise until relatively recently that I could cut records at home.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks

fredbissnette

Re: Newbie

Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:58 pm

the only hardware you need is a record lathe itself, any outboard processing will be the most expensive part of the rig which can all be done inside a computer on any digital audio workstation, you can even record strait onto a lathe from a mic run through the same digital rig so it will cut properly.

if you do want a totally hardware rig you will need a limiter and a 1/3 octave 31 band eq to start and then things like a deesser rig could be setup along with a parametric eq and multiband compressor as well as a masterig compressor but these things are not cheap and to setup a total analog setup of audio processing would be in 5 figures pretty fast.

a used lathe is anywhere from 300-5000 on ebay and may need some work
or you could go the diy route and build your own lathe

i made my own
http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6866

i also suggest doing as much research as you can on youtube with regards to record lathes and record cutting and record pressing then after you have a few terms down start searching those here in the forum in the search bar.

cheers and good luck
Instagram @styluspressurerecords