Needle temp gauge

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Spiderxdeath

Needle temp gauge

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Hi trolls- I'm a new so once again thanks for having me. I'm having trouble with my temp gauge.
It sort of comes and goes- if I pull the wire with a bit of tension the needle raise on the scale to where it should be. But once I tighten the screw. It drops back down. Should I just make the tension hard out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spiderxdeath

Re: Needle temp gauge

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:29 pm

This guy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grooveguy

Re: Needle temp gauge

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi, XSD,

By 'temp gage,' do you mean the ammeter that monitors the current through the heating coil? It should stay put if the connections are tight. It looks like you have wound the heating wire around the stylus jewel yourself, so it should be quite apparent if you have a break somewhere in the heating wire. Maybe the terminals that connect to the heating wire are not making good contact. Although an ammeter is a good way to judge how much heat you have, another way of telling is how red (or orange) the heating wire gets. Here's a shot of mine as I generally run it:
CU F'child head & hot stylus.jpg