Newbie wants to make a record lathe!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

marchitect

Newbie wants to make a record lathe!

Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:45 am

hi guys,

im currently studying my final year of Architecture at University in the UK.

im trying to document sounds of old, abandoned or derelict buildings that may be on the verge of demolition for a Design Research module i have to undertake as an integral part of my degree.

I figured a quirky spin on this, and a really cool way of documenting this would be to cut records, to create a tangible artefact as an outcome... So, i find myself in need of creating a record lathe (i'l have to create it as they are keen that you make stuff yourself rather than but something- plus i dont see lathes come up for sale in the UK too often!)

any pointers on a good place to start would be appreciated- ive watched youtube videos to death but none of them seem to go into too much detail

I'm also a collector of old players and have a record collection that engulfs most of my bedroom. mainly rockabilly, reggae and northern soul 45s, with a whole hunk of late 50s uk pressed rock n roll 78s mixed in for good measure.

Thanks in advance, Marcus

fredbissnette

Re: Newbie wants to make a record lathe!

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:13 pm

this sounds super cool

i built my own
http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6866

any questions just pm me
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

marchitect

Re: Newbie wants to make a record lathe!

Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:53 pm

thanks buddy!

im looking at creating a mono recorder (at least to start with!) and the method you have used utilising old printer parts seems to be a fairly well trodden path- so it must be a good starting point if nothing else!

i was going to make a jig that sits above my trusty audio technica 120...

expect some questions in the oncoming weeks no doubt!