Greetings: I write about older vinyl records

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

billhart

Greetings: I write about older vinyl records

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:36 am

and figured you folks could provide some much needed expertise when I have questions about the technical aspects of mastering and cutting vinyl. I come from the "audiophile" community (uh-oh), which has a strong preference for "all analog" and a general wariness of things digital, at least insofar as LPs are concerned. Getting information on source material, mastering or the like from record labels or the mastering engineers for specific releases isn't always easy and becomes increasingly difficult with older records as institutional "memory" disappears. So, I'm glad to join here if you'll put up with my questions occasionally. My site is called TheVinylPress.com, I'm Bill Hart and spent 34 years as a copyright lawyer in NYC, doing a lot of music business related stuff before retiring to have some fun! My background/CV is at flyingreptilemediagroup.com (click on the hand in the lower right corner of the home page and it will advance to the particulars).
I will post specific questions under appropriate headings and fora.
Thanks, and my regards,

bill hart

mossboss

Re: Greetings: I write about older vinyl records

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:50 pm

Welcome and please do so.
Best
C
Chris