Cut striaght onto vinyl?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

nikc

Cut striaght onto vinyl?

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:09 am

Hello I'm completely new to lathes and cutting records.
I have just bought 2 lathes on ebay; being delivered this week! They were made by a British company called MSS in the 1950's. i've attached a picture (from ebay). Has anyone heard of them?

I was wondering if you can cut vinyl discs on lathes like these, instead of acetates. as I've hears that acetates wear out quickly. and I'm thinking that vinly would last longer.?

Nik
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

Soulbear

Re: Cut striaght onto vinyl?

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:32 am

Hi Nikc,
And welcome to the Forum, check this out, Norman is cutting straight into a Polycarbonate Disc, so to answer your question YES :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7nKa_aHyR8
I think you have made a great choice here, as this Model of MSS Lathe is pretty easy to modify thus :-
MSS Idler Modification.jpg
You simply need to make a smaller Drive Capstan for the Motor to drive the Platter Rim at 45 RPM. The calculator on this site will help give you the correct diameter :- http://www.culvermotor.com/Engineering-Formulas/Pulley-and-RPM-Calculator.html after you've measured the Overall Platter Diameter The New Idler is simply a Turned Section of Aluminium fitted with a Nitrile Rubber "O" Ring. In addition, Norman has modified the "Overhead" by removing the Drive Belt from the Platter Spindle, which on this Lathe drives the Overhead via a Vertical Shaft with Bevel Gears. He has replaced this Drive Train with a Stepper Motor, which in turn is Driven by a Low Cost Driver, enabling variation of the L.P.I. Pitch whilst Cutting.
Hope this Helps
Best Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear
P.S. Are you Here in the U.K.??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Soulbear

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:17 am

Hi Nikc,
Sorry for the mistake, but in the earlier link, Norman is actually "Embossing" rather than "Cutting" although I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to Cut rather than Emboss with this Lathe, provided that you can obtain a Diamond Stylus. I'm pretty sure that The Shank may be able to help you out in that regard if you are able to give him the Stylus Measurement :- http://www.myshank.com/en/. If you are using the Amplifier that comes with this Lathe (And it Works) you should be OK driving this Cutterhead. If however, you plan to run this off a Modern Amplifier, be advised that these Cutterheads are really of the "High Impedance" Variety and you would need either to drive them via a 70-100 Volt Audio Line Transformer, or Re-wind the Cutterhead to Operate from a Modern Amplifier. Sorry for the Cutting/Embossing error in my earlier Post
Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear

nikc

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi Soulbear,
Yes I am in UK, North East London. I was happy to see a lathe for sale in UK as so far they had all been in the states. I am looking forward to it arriving. It says it comes with the original amp. At first I thought it meant I was buying 2 lathes, but one box is the amp. I hope it works. Anyway I am glad I made the purchase even if there is lots of work to do. Thank you very much for the help, that's fantastic. It so good to have advice and tips so I am not in the dark. I will watch the youtube clip now.
thanks again
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

nikc

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi again, is embossing less permanent than cutting? and are there any draw backs to embossing? if not then i'd be happy to emboss on poly carbonate. On Normans website it says you cant cut poly carbonate only emboss.
nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

nikc

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:57 pm

or if you are cutting would you do it with something else than poly carbonate?
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

Soulbear

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi Nik,
Take what's said on Norman's Website about only being able to "Emboss" Polycarbonate Blanks with a "Pinch of Salt" There are quite a few Trolls who "Emboss" as well as "Cut" Polycarbonate Records. Embossing does not remove any material from the Blank it simply leaves an indented rather than cut groove. I believe some excellent results are possible using this recording technique Nik, but other, much more experienced Lathe Trolls, may be better able to advise you about the Complexities/Advantages/Dis-advantages of the Cutting VS Embossing Techniques and Methods. Do some digging, searching, and reading, here on the Forum, it is after all, probably the best source of information related to this Art/Science/Craft anywhere in InterWebland.
Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear

nikc

Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:52 am

Hi Soulbear thanks for this, I will search the forum on this subject. I have looked much at the forum yet,as I didn't know enough to ask any questions, if that make sense. The more i read the more I understand what everyone is talking about.

Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records