hi everyone, i'm newbie and plan to make a diy cutting lathe

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

drywud

hi everyone, i'm newbie and plan to make a diy cutting lathe

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Hello I'm really interested in record cutting, I discovered it through the website of piatpk or others. I already managed to cut a few seconds of sound on a cd building a record lathe out of cardboard a needle a eskimo stick following a tutorial video on youtube. I even organized a small workshop where people tried to do the same. not all succeeded. I am very happy to be among all of you.

These days I am recording cassette tapes at home of my own music or other, printing the covers etc...(my small catalog http://www.drywud.fr) I want to take some time in the near future to build a diy record cutting lathe.

I also may like to buy an old record cutting lathe if I find a good (cheap ) deal. With friends we have a collective space with different printing equipment, I am thinking about making it possible for other people to use the record lath i/we may build/buy

I'd like to contribute to the site by sharing my own experience and I hope to maybe find some help on my project.

Have a good day or night every one. Bye bye

grooveguy

Re: hi everyone, i'm newbie and plan to make a diy cutting l

Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi, drywud,

Sorry that no one got back to you sooner. It's quite an undertaking building a lathe from scratch, unless you just want to prove that music can live inside a groove without regard to quality. Best if you could get an old lathe somewhere, although they have become as scarce (and as expensive!) as the proverbial hen's teeth over the past 50 years or so. Used to be you could walk away from an old mom-and-pop radio station with a Presto 6N in the trunk of your car; they'd have been glad to get rid of it. But those days are gone forever. Every now and then you'll find an old Presto K-series or Rek-O-Kut in an antique shop for a hundred bucks or so, but I wouldn't count on it.

There's plenty of knowledge on this group, and if you have a buddy with a machine shop who owes you favors (like his life!), chances are you can turn something out. Just read everything you can here and be sure to ask questions.

fredbissnette

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:57 am

i built one entirely out of other parts from things like mdf wood, cake decorating tips, sharpened steel nails , printer parts and speaker exciters,
my audio is not as precise as a purpose built home recorder or a radio station lathe but its pretty good for home built

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCVj1Q90_o&feature=youtu.be

its taken me almost a hundred hours of noodling to get it this far but im getting pretty happy with my results
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

grooveguy

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Wow, Fred,

Impressive results from this-and-that found around the house. Please link us to other posts here or put up some pictures of your lathe for us to see. Those results in the YouTube videos are impressive for what you've done with odds and ends; your efforts should be in inspiration to us all, especially like drywud here who wants to make his own. Good going!

fredbissnette

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:44 pm

http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6866

i have many youtube vids too check my channel

cheers
Instagram @styluspressurerecords