Pressed blank records

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ilovethelawrencearms

Pressed blank records

Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:15 pm

This may be a dumb question, but has anybody ever gone to a pressing plant to make blank records? So like, the pressing plant would make 2 blank presses, and then just press blank on both sides making a flat/smooth blank record, right? Is this a bad idea? I love the myshank blanks, but I may be able to get them cheaper here in the states if I were to do it this way. Let me know what you think!

EpicenterBryan

Re: Pressed blank records

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:46 pm

ilovethelawrencearms wrote:This may be a dumb question, but has anybody ever gone to a pressing plant to make blank records?
Yes. Use the search function and enter "pressed blank records". There is quite a bit of discussion and around the second page there was a guy selling some. As of last year he still had some...

http://lathetrolls.com/search.php?keywords=pressed+blank+records

Bryan

ilovethelawrencearms

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks Bryan.

I have been scouring for hours now, searching to find answers. It seems like a lot of people have tried using pressed blank records, and I keep getting mixed results. How do pressed records sound? are they just as good as going to Myshank? Is there a place that makes the best pressed records? Is it better to find a PVC sheet supplier and cut the records myself (I have a CNC machine)? Is there is certain PVC density I should go for?

I am still just a newbie, just looking for the cheapest, yet best quality blanks. My dream is to start a small DIY record label. It has been really hard for me to figure out what the consensus is on all of these questions. I haven't found any definitive results.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Gridlock

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:40 pm

Talk to erica records
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

The Shank

Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:41 am

IF pressed blank were so good, easy to cut with an amazing sound and preserve the diamond stylus, please give me a reason to sell my blank.
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

mischmerz

Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:10 am

The Shank wrote:IF pressed blank were so good, easy to cut with an amazing sound and preserve the diamond stylus, please give me a reason to sell my blank.
Would you please solve the riddle whether or not we *can* call you blanks 'vinyl' :) ?

Michaela

ilovethelawrencearms

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:04 am

Okay here is another question...

What is the reason why a pressed blank destroys styli faster? Is it just because it is a harder plastic?

ROLANDJAYS

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:18 am

for all of you that have a question , why don't you buy a diamond stylus 140$, and a blank record, 5$ and try for yourself????

rsimms3

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Who sells diamond styli for $140? MyShank is around $240 U.S. before shipping, Todd is $285. and Diamond Stylus is $209 before shipping. I'd be more apt to try one priced in the $140 range given my current budget. Any other sellers out there?