starting out cutting, have presto 8n,6n

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

bpatric

starting out cutting, have presto 8n,6n

Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:39 am

Hello. I was lucky enough to get a decent deal on a Presto 8n and a 6N, both in cabs, the 8n with a scope. I have several extra mono heads, spindles, parts, etc. I have a general working theory of how to cut, and just bought the Basic Disc Mastering book. I have an analog studio (and digital) and have been recording for years. I plan to do masters and limited runs as a part of the studio work. I figure I'll be lurking around here a lot, and learning all the time. Two basic questions are: 1. Where can I find a stereo cutting head? 2. Where is the best place to buy blank discs, etc.

Here's my studio: fs2.futureappletree.com

Patrick

Simpleton

Re: starting out cutting, have presto 8n,6n

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:06 am

Hey there, Boss

I figured one of the more experienced members of the forum would have answered you, but in case you haven't figured it out on your own by now:

You'll probably want to get your lacquer blanks from Apollo at some point. They're pricy, but it sounds like you have a budget that might accommodate that. Experiment on other mediums to start with.

http://www.apollomasters.com/products.html

In regard to where you might find a stereo head, I've read that a gentleman named Todd, who goes by opcode66 on this forum, sells a well-regarded stereo-head for under $500 which is called Bladerunner (great name, by the way).

http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5250&start=360

Everything I've come to understand about the trade leads me to believe that you might be better-off learning how to operate your lathes (which I envy) on the original mono heads before making the investment in stereo. I'm probably less experienced in this field than you, however, being a hobbyist, so it's really a matter of your own discretion.

My only advice to you (as a fellow newbie with shit equipment compared to yours) is to read everything you can get your hands on.

Everything. (Which, sadly, I cannot provide. However, here's this:)

http://www.lathetrolls.com/download/file.php?id=2620

There are a few more .pdfs floating around the forum that I've saved to my tablet, but I can't seem to find the links to them. My apologies. The search function is your friend, though. These gents have been sharing their experiments, findings and experiences here for over a decade now, and the research continues! This forum is an invaluable source of information.
Cheers!

Simpleton

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:55 am

(Sorry to keep double-posting, folks, but...)

Do yourself a valuable favor and install a fuse leading to your cutter-head before trying to play with your machine/testing her out.

There's a chance you'll have to do some repairs if the machine has been out of service a while, and everything I've come to learn about heads tells me that having your coils re-wound is expensive.

I have zero experience with lathes, much like yourself, so any suggestions I may have are tenuous, but I'd hate to see you get yourself in a bad spot with such nifty machines. Just be mindful of their age and do a good deal of research before deciding to fire them up, as depending on the age of the unit there may be parts that need replacing after a few decades. Again, I'm a newbie focusing on suitcase lathes for the moment, so your Prestos might be completely different. Just be sure to do your homework on them.

I only hope that some fellows with more experience care to chime in to your inquiries.

(Also, if you're in the market to sell one of your spare heads for a reasonable price, let me know, as I've picked up a radial-arm GI turntable that I'd love to Franken-lathe.)
Cheers!

bpatric

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:15 pm

thanks for the replies! I'm going slow, step by step. planning to read, read, read. i hope the stereo head materializes...that would be cool! ironically, at the same time i bought the lathes, i upgraded digital interfaces, got a mac, and protools 12. i don't really care..my engineers wanted it. I'm into the lathes!

rsimms3

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:32 am

Sounds like it may be too basic for you, but I found the book produced by Audiodisc "How to Make Good Recordings" was a great primer for reading the Basic Disc Mastering book. There were several printings, here's a link to the 1948 version:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=10143073377&searchurl=tn%3DMake%2520Good%2520Recordings

1940 Version with picture for reference
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOW-TO-MAKE-GOOD-RECORDINGS-By-Audio-Devices-1940-Records-Record-Players-/181788791018?hash=item2a5374d0ea:g:L9sAAOSw3ydVkbtG

I would recommend working with the 8N. The 8N has easier to access adjustments than the 6N. The 6N is great if you get it dialed in and always cut the same material but the 8N has easier to use height/depth adjustments. The other good thing is that the feedscrews are interchangeable between the two models. The 6N instruction manual can be found here on the site and I have a copy of the 8N manual. If you are interested in the 8N manual send me a PM.

What is the condition of your two machines? Specifically, how are the idlers? Dry/cracked/flat spots? That would be the first item I would check in terms of getting ready if you haven't already. Also, I'd look into getting an adapter made so you can cut 45rpm.

bpatric

Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:30 pm

The machines are in decent shape...just need some cleaning. Honestly, they are still sitting where I brought them to my studio. I'm waiting for the holiday thing to be over so I can get to work. There is a 45 adapter included.