Plans to repair Wilcox-Gay Recordette Sr. Any advice?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Simpleton

Plans to repair Wilcox-Gay Recordette Sr. Any advice?

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:55 pm

Dear, Trolls

I've got about a week until my Wilcox-Gay Recordette SR (I think it's an OJ10, but I can't be certain until I have it in my possession), and I'm working on my plans for restoration and subsequent modification. Without being too verbose, I made a checklist, and I would appreciate it if any of you could read through and tell me what I'm forgetting, what to look out for, friendly advice, etc. According to the seller, it will turn on, and the turntable motor operates, so my checklist is based on the assumption that they're correct. We'll see, though.

Steps
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1.) Obtain my Recordette SR, and a set of schematics. Send the crystal head to Gib at West-Tech, first and foremost, so that hopefully it's ready by the time repairs are completed. I'm also hoping he might be able to provide me with a nice copy of the schematic, as I'm having trouble reading the copy posted in the reference section (I'll upload a good quality scan if I have any luck.)

2.) Coil up the power cord and forget it exists. Photograph the exterior of the unit.

3.) Gain access to the interior of the unit, photograph all internal components before proceeding.

4.) Carefully clean the chassis. Again, photograph components as I go.

5.) Determine which capacitors will need replacing. Take quality, close-up photographs of the capacitors in-place. (From what I understand, everything that isn't ceramic or mica will have to go. I also understand that the Recordette SR was a cheap consumer model, so I'm guessing it's going to be mostly paper in there. Anyone know?).

6.) Identify/document the values for capacitors needing replacing.

7.) Determine how best to match/configure new capacitors to match the old values.

8.) Order my capacitors.

9.) Find a tube tester with which to test tubes, identify which ones need replacing, and order replacements. (Hoping my uncle knows a guy with a tester)

10.) While waiting for tubes and capacitors to arrive clean radio band, switches, and potentiometers.

11.) Assuming the capacitor replacements have arrived, assemble/configure replacements, then install.

12.) Assuming tube replacements have been obtained, re-install tubes after cleaning the sockets.

13.) Remember that the power cord exists, and replace if needed.

14.) Turn on the unit, test AM radio receiver.

15.) Assuming the head has been rebuilt by this time, install and test playback capabilities.

16.) Install a cutting needle and do some experimental cuts.

Tools
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a while since I've done much tinkering, and so a lot of my tools got borrowed out or disappeared. I'm thinking I will need in addition to typical tools like screwdrivers, pliers, etc:

1.) Soldering Iron/tools

2.) De-Oxit

3.) Multimeter

4.) Replacement components (Caps & Tubes)

5.) Replacement wires

6.) Shrink-wrap insulation/coating for wires.

7.) Hair dryer/heat gun
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I absolutely know that I'm overlooking something. Could you elder trolls please be so kind as to tell me what that is so that I can adjust my plans accordingly?

Thanks a bunch,
Cheers!

markrob

Re: Plans to repair Wilcox-Gay Recordette Sr. Any advice?

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi,

That looks like a nice list to start. You will also need to look at the mechanical components. The idler wheel is often times worn out and will need to be rebuilt. Also old dried up lubricant will need to be flushed and replaced.

I'm not sure Gib is still providing a rebuild service. Anybody here know if this is correct?

Testing tubes is probably a waste of time. You can check for a bad filament with an ohmmeter and a tube manual for reference. Unless you have access to a good transconductance (e.g. Hickok) tester, they tend to not predict if the tube will work in circuit. Even then, they are iffy as far as troubleshooting is concerned. I would check for filament continuity and wait to see if you have issues before going down that path.

Mark

Simpleton

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:41 pm

markrob wrote:
I'm not sure Gib is still providing a rebuild service.

Ah, see, I knew that he won't bother with Recordette repair anymore, but he's stopped rebuilding crystal heads, as well? If so, that's certainly cause for concern, as I was relying on his service. I can try to go the piezo route if need be, though I was rather keen on having a restored crystal head to start learning on.

I figured that the mechanical bits would need servicing in terms of cleaning and re-lubricating, but I had completely overlooked the idler disk. Haha. Thank-you.

What kind of lubricant would you suggest? I was going to use Liquid Bearings, as I've already got a bunch laying around for my model trains.

Also, thank-you for the advice on the tubes. I probably would have gone on a fool's errand trying to find a tester for the damn things not knowing there's a simpler route.
Cheers!

Simpleton

Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Heard back from the guys at West-Tech. (Great response time)

They re-assured me that they absolutely, 100% still rebuild crystal cutter-heads, which is good as I've just bought a spare that I intend on having them rebuild for me, as well.
Cheers!