i have a lathe i need info on and a repair man

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Originalmanbbq

i have a lathe i need info on and a repair man

Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:23 pm

I bought this lathe at a antique store I know nothing about it. I'm hoping to get information about it. I am interested in some one repairing it. I live in Long Beach someone in the greater southern California area would be preferable but im open for suggestions. Any information you have on it would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely Adam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grooveguy

Re: i have a lathe i need info on and a repair man

Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:33 pm

Hi, Adam,

This is an interesting machine. The deck appears to be the popular General Industries design, although the front-to-back dimension of the top plate is significantly less than the usual decks used in Redordio, Silvertone, etc. machines. Moreover, I have never seen a recording deck that did NOT have a playback arm.

The (probably) crystal cutterheads used in these units were quite fragile and yours may well be dead. It will cost $75 or so to get the head reworked, but the good news is that the "electronics" (such as they may be in this model) are probably very simple and easily put right. You will also be looking at a source for recording blanks and cutting styli (needles), although the latter are fairly available from a fellow who sells on eBay.

Sorry for the late reply; I don't sign on here often and only just saw your plea for help. I'm in SoCal, although a good hour from you. Let me know how interested you are in getting this going and perhaps I can advise a next course of action. This group is a good one to go to for help, although you might think about posting in the "Secrets" section rather than the Newbie one for better response.