Stylus alignment

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

sunkingrecords

Stylus alignment

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:58 am

Hi!

About the stylus like NSH-2S and I believe Transco 320 models which have a cilindrical shank with no flat parts, and a little square on top of it.
It is correct to assume that the cutting facet is aligned to the sides of the square? So aligning the sides is a safe way of correctly pointing the stylus.

Kind regards

Miguel
I choose not to run .-

jjgolden

Re: Stylus alignment

Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:57 pm

If I understood the question correctly:
The square collar is "not always" perfectly aligned horizontally to the flat face of the cutting facet.
Sometimes they are off by quite a bit.
JJG

opcode66

Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:52 am

You never use the shank as a point of reference for stylus alignment. The Mirror surface of the stone is oriented such that it will point in the opposite direction as the spinning of the blank. That is to say the mirror surface is the cutting side of the stylus. Otherwise, just make sure that the mirror surface when looking down on the tip of the stylus is straight. If you imagine a line running down the middle of the cutterhead, the mirror surface, when looking down on the stylus point, should appear perfectly perpendicular to the imaginary center line.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

sunkingrecords

Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:22 am

Thank you Opcode and JJG, that was exactly my question!

Kind regards

Miguel
I choose not to run .-