A Silly question, Maybe (using an old telephone ringer)

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

recordboy

A Silly question, Maybe (using an old telephone ringer)

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:17 pm

A thought just came over me as I was taking apart an old landline tel.

I was told, when I was young, and was into shocking myself (putting the cord in my mouth, 9v ain't got 'jack' in comparison) that these things used allot juice.

I tried to activate it with sound (simply from my computer) yet it didn't move.

I would guess, or rather my question is. How much juice/watts would it take to move it. And is it a viable device to use as a head driver (or something like it) [chang cheng] ?

It's so nice and tiny...

I am green, as if you couldn't tell... :oops:

Thanx
Cheers,
recordboy

Kiss the Groove

Re: A Silly question, Maybe (using an old telephone ringer)

Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:54 pm

It takes very little power to energize a mechanical telephone ringer, only about 1 watt. However, the impedance is very high, so it takes a lot of voltage.

You may have seen the term Ringer Equivalence Number or REN printed on wireline telephones. 1 REN is equal to the impedance of a "traditional" mechanical ringer circuit, including the usual 8 uF series capacitor, and it's currently defined by ANSI/TIA-968-B as 7000 ohms at 20 Hz.

Typical North American ringer voltage is 86 volts RMS at 20 Hz. For your computer to produce this voltage directly, it would have to have a power output rating of 925 watts at 8 ohms, or 1850 watts at 4 ohms. Or, you could insert a step-up transformer.

All of that aside, I'm not sure how you'd adapt such a gross mechanical movement to disc cutting. Nevertheless...

Have fun! -- KtG

recordboy

Re: A Silly question, Maybe (using an old telephone ringer)

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:23 am

Please excuse my timely reply.
thnx for that info. it help a lot
& i am so much wiser now :)
Cheers,
recordboy