Low volume cuts

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mechanicalfox

Low volume cuts

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Hello. I have a presto k8 with the stock cutter head and stylus and am producing cuts with very low volume, I've tested the amp and it is fine, so it's either the cutter head or the stylus. I removed dampening material from the cutter head as suggested and still low, I can hear the sound loudly from the cutter head so I don't think its the head but I'm unsure, could the head need to be recoiled or do I simply need a new stylus, thinking of getting a ruby one from apollomasters, any thoughts on this? Any help would be very appreciated

opcode66

Re: Low volume cuts

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:17 pm

If you can clearly hear audio then the coil is ok.

The condition of the stylus would not affect perceived volume. A bad stylus will not represent high frequencies well. But, I don't think the volume difference you are hearing is due to the condition of your stylus.

My guess is that you are applying the head to the disc with too much pressure. The excursion of the stylus is being restricted.

Also, take into consideration, this gear will never give you the volume levels you get on a professionally cut single.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Cubed

Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:24 pm

I had an issue like that ad the cause was the magnet loosing
"strength"

Here's a trick that might work if it is the magnet. Just please check the polarity first.

http://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5207

EpicenterBryan

Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Cubed wrote:Here's a trick that might work if it is the magnet. Just please check the polarity first.
That write up won't work for the 5C head (which is what he has I think). It's constructed a bit different, so the magnets can't be placed at the bottom as shown in the 1D thread. They need to be near the bottom but on the sides, and a curved piece of metal needs to touch the added magnets on each outside surface.

I'll take my head apart and mock up the scheme for some pictures.

The first thing you should do is to see if you can hang a screw driver or a pair of needle nose pliers off the metal on the sides just below the horse shoe magnet. Be sure to check both sides. If it won't hold the tool, then the magnet is your issue.

Bryan

Cubed

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:40 am

True, but once the magnet is out you can recharge it using the method described.

However if you don't want to risk to take apart a head, you're might be better off to someone who knows how to rebuild them.

tragwag

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:41 am

definitely give a shot to what everyone here is suggesting, but I want to reiterate what opcode said,
the volume you get from this sort of equipment, is nowhere near pressed record level.
The best I've gotten through years of this, with 1D head and Presto 92 series amp is about -4 dB RMS with peaks at 0 dB (ref +4dBu) before distortion.
I think it sounds great, but when pro records are at 0 dB with peaks around +4 dB (depending), you're just not going to compete.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com