Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

qleeford

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Sun May 03, 2020 6:02 pm

Hey guys!

I'm a young (23yr) sound engineer student (idk the official term) from somewhere in Europe. I've been reading about lacquer cutting, lathes and so on for a couple months and now I'm pretty decided to build one by my own.

Glad to be part of this troll-community

Qleeford

corsiglia

Wed May 06, 2020 12:44 pm

Hey All! Checking in from Brooklyn, NY. I’ve been interested in lathe cut records for a long time and decided to dig a bit further and actually get involved in cutting! Nice to meet you all!
Marc

JOJO

Mon May 11, 2020 6:04 pm

Hi guys and ladies aswell !! I m Jojo from Argentina, Jose ;) I m try to enter in this magic world ! I already have a music Studio, very humble but full of vibes !! I already press 4 records with my label and I m exited to star ! Sorry my poor english ! Saludos !

Kennyboy!1971

Wed May 13, 2020 9:06 pm

Hi I am Ken.... from New Jersey. I am a lofi musician and have been playing for 30 years... finally looking to have a 7” single presses of some of my latest work.. looking for tips and tricks to make this release great.

I can be found under the name Kennyboy! In streaming outlets..

willzyx

Thu May 14, 2020 10:22 am

Hi! greetings form Taiwan

Oraceous

Sat May 16, 2020 9:45 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Göksel from Turkey. I'm still learning, I hope I will record my own vinyls...

Thank you for sharing your experinces, these are more valuable than any machine.

Pkalder

Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 pm

Hello all!

My name is Pkalder. I wanted to introduce myself. I just finished Mark I of my homemade lathe tonight. I'll put together a detailed youtube video here soon. We'll see how the quality turns out. After studying vids , I think I have some unique perspectives. I'll get it running, then I've got memorial day vacation. Hopefully soon it'll be posted.

Thanks all. Your tips and tricks have helped tremendously!

jaypee

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:39 pm

Hi folks, I'm a student at IIT in Chicago, studying mechanical engineering. I'm also the Okayest DJ of All Time at WIIT, our student radio station, where i play a lot of rips from my growing vinyl collection.

Presently, I'm writing a term paper on the mechanical process of pressing records from a manufacturing perspective, motivating me to join this board. I know that the actual pressing is one of the final steps of a multi-stage process, and i'm trying to gather information about mastering, cutting, and lacquer-making as well. In particular I'm looking for published technical papers that I can cite in my term paper, or at least "reputable sources" of the sort that my professor will approve of.

Longer-term, i'm hoping to use my degree to work in the music industry, either in the design and fabrication of audio production/DJ gear, or maybe in the process of making records, as I understand the the 'vinyl revival' isn't a fad, and a pressing plant (Smashed Plastic) has recently opened up here in Chicago, using the WarmTone presses manufactured by Viryl.

I look forward to trawling these boards and asking questions over the next few weeks, and beyond.

thanks for reading this far!

Togirdor

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:08 am

Hi! i'm Rodrigo, from Chile and now living in Switzerland. for a couple of years i've been building my own record lathe for sound art projects. i'm very grateful to have found this community!

Saludos!
Rodrigo

SantaKilmagik

Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:40 am

Hey folks! Steve here from Richmond, VA. So glad I found this forum- dipping my toes into record cutting with the phonocut (fingers crossed). You guys have made me feel a lot better about the investment. But I can already tell I'll be looking for something higher quality down the road. Happy to be here!

Weissman Music

Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:52 am

Hi all! Glad to be here. I'm a professional mixer and mastering engineer, but new to the world of record cutting (by myself) and hoping to learn a lot and break into it!

If anyone ever has pro-audio related inquiries, please feel free to hit my line!

ESQUI

Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:03 pm

Hello everybody, this is Eduardo from México City. I´m really interested in learning and someday, cut records myself!

ThirtyThreeAndA3rd

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi everyone! I’m Ronnie from Pensacola, FL! I’ve always dreamed of learning to build a record lathe so I can cut my own discs. I’m definitely a novice & would really appreciate all the help/advice I can get! Thanks for allowing me into the fold!

ayupchap

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:31 am

Hi everyone

My names Scott. Living in NYC but originally from Devon, England. Today I joined this forum after spending ages researching home lathes. I have a billion questions so no doubt you'll see me here asking them but I'm also here to read and learn.

Tom The Phonocat

Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:08 am

Hello Lathe Trolls Fam,

I'm Tom and an a happy owner of T-560 from January. been lurking here from time to time to get some knowledge. Fantastic forum and plenty of knowledgable cats around here. Glad I made the leap into cutting. I love it. Started a short run service based in Ireland. I'm not really an internet forum guy but I might have something interesting for anyone looking to start. I recently imported Technics sp-15 from Japan in perfect working order and ideal condition. If anyone is looking to buy... let me know:D https://youtu.be/mozzxE14BAc
Regards,

spinninr

Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:42 pm

I'm Raven. I'm excited to absorb all the information that this site has, and implement my own lathe project some day

Vhflores

Saludos desde La Paz, BOLIVIA

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:02 am

Hola a todos:

Soy Victor Hugo, estoy comenzando en la experiencia de cortar vinilos, tengo una Rek o Kut "Imperial II" con cabeza de corte Audax RH5, espero recibir consejos sobre como obtener mejores resultados con este equipo.

tongsteroni

Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:38 am

Hello! I'm Tim, from the Philippines. Stumbled upon an Atom Autorecorder 21 at a local thrift store after spending months reading on lathes. Finally a registered member. Hope to learn from all of you, and eventually be able to contribute to the great wealth of knowledge on lathes. Cheers! :)

martel80

Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:21 am

Hi everyone,

Jeff from Montreal, Canada here.

I bought a Phonocut in July and waiting shipment in March 2021 and I hope to learn a great deal about the in and out of the craft.

I know the Phonocut is an easy solution for non initiated but I belive its a good start to understand what it mean to create a product from beginning to end including printing jackets, center labels and wrapping.

I'll be jumping in random threads that I need info on so I might be all around the place on this subject, forgive me.

marcositaly

Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:38 am

Hi everyone,

I'm Marco from Italy. I’m a novice and I'm looking for buy a T560.

Thanks