any tips for a new recordio owner?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Blightious

any tips for a new recordio owner?

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:47 pm

So I went down after much thought and plunked 75$ on a pretty well cared for recordio 6b40 at a local thrift store.
It came with all the goodies (manual, brochures, heck even the original shipping receipt!) But included as well was about 40 unused steel tips and an original sapphire tip and a stellite cutting stylus.
I'm getting ready to make some dirty records using this, and I know these make em real bad.
What are some things I should know about in reference to these machines before I jump in?
75 was a hard chunk to part with, but enough to satisfy my curiosity with record making.
Any ideas?
Having so many styli (38!?) Are these capable of use for recording?
Plus the other tips seem to be a good start as well.
I may just use a radio transmitter from my tape studio at first until I can figure a modification for the mic input.
Is a vacuum necessary?
I'm just blasting off questions in a random order, need not an answer for every one but if there's some pointers that could be of great use to me, I'd greatly appreciate it.
My common aspirations for this project is to make some simple low-fi cuts for my music as well as unique tokens for some bands I get a chance to collaborate with.
What's a good medium for this that won't destroy my buds turntable?
I read about the original aluminum discs and wonder if I can flatten out a beer can and cut on it, as well as how many of the steel stylii can I expect to wear out on something like that?
I'm eager for discussion!
Thanks!

Aussie0zborn

Re: any tips for a new recordio owner?

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:14 am

I don't know anything about this machine except to say that you cant cut on metal. It sounds like you got yourself a great deal. Good luck.

recordboy

Re: any tips for a new recordio owner?

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Any luck on your project?

I also have a recordette and am wondering about an input mod.
Did you make one?

I was thinking to use a low watt. speaker or mono earphone and connect it directly to the mic.
in the center, as to transmit the signal from the speaker to mic w/out sound, yet rather movement.

I've yet to do this, though in theory sounds sound.
Cheers,
recordboy