Learning all the secrets

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jesusfwrl

Learning all the secrets

Thu May 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi trolls! I'm not a lathe troll yet, as I do not have a lathe, or experience with one, but I really want to get into it. I am a mastering engineer working exclusively with analog gear. I would like to learn how to cut records. I am interested both in laquer masters and plastics.

If anyone out there would like to pass on their knowledge to someone eager to learn all the dark secrets of lathe trolling, in exchange for some help in your cutting room, please do let me know. It's fun reading about it, but I prefer hands on experience.

I am considering one of the two current-production systems. Not decided on one yet. I don't think I can realistically afford a fully professional lathe, and while I wouldn't say no to a 1940's consumer unit, I haven't found one yet.

But as it is probably going to take some time until I have my own lathe, I would be more than happy to learn from someone in the meantime. Location does not matter much. I'm willing to travel to learn the art of cutting records.

I'll be asking plenty of questions on here too, so be prepared...!
~~~ Precision Mechanical Engineering, Analog Disk Mastering ~~~
Agnew Analog Reference Instruments: http://www.agnewanalog.com

studiorp

Re: Learning all the secrets

Fri May 17, 2013 4:05 am

Welcome man, this is a great forum for who want start to learn the art of cut.

audadvnc

Fri May 17, 2013 9:50 pm

One thing I learned is that operating and maintaining a record cutting lathe is a whole different experience than running tape or digital recording systems. It all comes down to that stylus in the groove; if it's not a perfect cut you're just wasting your time (and a whole lotta money).

piaptk

Thu May 23, 2013 6:34 pm

Be sure to read the wiki and this site pretty heavily. 100% of newbie questions have been answered at least 10 times on here or the wiki.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

jesusfwrl

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:57 pm

I am slowly reading through as much of the forum and wiki as possible. I am becoming more and more obsessed with this. However, I am still all up for learning the hands-on part of the art from someone experienced, if at all possible. So my offer still stands, that if anyone who cuts records (on any material, with any lathe system) would like some help in their cutting room for a few days, during which they would also show me a bit about their craft, I would happily go for it. Location not so important. I will happily travel for this opportunity.

I am a recording/mastering engineer with a solid background in electronics and mechanical engineering (I build analog modular synthesizers and vacuum tube audio circuits from scratch and I also rebuild old internal combustion engines in my spare time). I do read a lot and I already understand most of the theory regarding record cutting. The only problem is that I have no practical experience.

If I had more practical experience on a lathe or two, I would feel more comfortable building my own from scratch. So for that reason I will probably start by buying a vinyl recorder from Souri and take it from there.
~~~ Precision Mechanical Engineering, Analog Disk Mastering ~~~
Agnew Analog Reference Instruments: http://www.agnewanalog.com