Help with Wilcox-Gay recordette 3

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

vchcardozo

Help with Wilcox-Gay recordette 3

Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:05 am

Hello trolls,

I'm new in the lathe cutting world.

Probably many of you are tired of this question, but let's go again:

I'm getting a Wilcox-gay recordette 3. Is it possible restore by myself the crystal cartridge? I spent weeks looking some person or service who can restore it, but no luck.
As far I know the method to replace it with a piezo element works for playback but not for recording.

I'll make the rochelle salt but still no clear how install it in the cartridge. Any help would be appreciated!

markrob

Re: Help with Wilcox-Gay recordette 3

Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:44 am

Hi,

I would stay away from Rochelle salt. Its hydroscopic and has a finite lifetime. That was what was available back in the day. You should be able to source a proper PZT element that will sub for the crystal. You might take a look at the elements uses in grill igniters. They should be of a large enough size to give you the excursion you need. There was an Astatic series of magnetic cutter heads that was a drop in replacement for the crystal cutters. Might be hard to find these days. See the attached spec sheets. If you have the skills, you might be able to fabricate a magnetic replacement similar to the Astatic. Not sure if the effort is worth it given the low quality of these machines.
AstaticM-41-8M-41-500p1.jpg
AstaticM-41-8M-41-500p2.jpg
AstaticM-41-8M-41-500p3.jpg

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.