Newbie question: What is the best cutter on the market...

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

funkadelia

Newbie question: What is the best cutter on the market...

Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi all,

It looks like I'm going to benefit from a wealth of expertise on this site. So, thanks for allowing me to join.

My first question is this: What is the best cutter on the market at present for under £5000. By cutter I'm referring to a machine that I could use at home, that would not require considerable expertise and experience to operate.

Also, is this budget too prohibitive? Should I be asking the question under £10 000?

Many thanks in advance for any response.

Regards,

Funkadelia

Soulbear

Re: Newbie question: What is the best cutter on the market..

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi Funkadelia,
(Love that Handle by the way, George Clinton of Funkadelic has been a hero of mine since the 6T's when his band was then known, simply as Parliaments) As your currency denomination is in Pounds Sterling, I'm assuming that you're here in the U.K. Your £5K should get you well on your way to a good Set-Up from here :- http://www.vinylrecorder.com/ However, getting Herr Ulrich Sourisseau to Sell You one of these systems might be a completely different matter. It is often reported that he has been known to be a little, shall we say," Choosey" to who he will Deign to make a sale to. Exciting times are also just around the corner with "Sillitoes Lathes" check out James's Thread of the same name, although I don't know if he has of yet published his Pricing Point. The other alternative, is to do like many others (Including Myself) and Fix-Up or Adapt an Older bit of Technology and Add-On an Up-to-Date Cutterhead Like Caruso or Bladerunner. Hope this Helps. Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear

funkadelia

Re: Newbie question: What is the best cutter on the market..

Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:07 pm

Soul Bear, thank you so much for your reply!

Yes, Clinton and the gang have been on my turntables for as long as I can remember. Continually inspiring me.

Your advice is very much appreciated. I have heard a little about Vinylrecorder and your response throws further light on the subject. I won't hold my breath being one of the chosen few ;)

I will definitely check out Sillitoes Lathes - very exciting!

Cheers

Paul