Hi. New member. Vinyl flaw question

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

audiosignal

Hi. New member. Vinyl flaw question

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:53 pm

Vinyl record enthusiasts I hope this is an appropriate place to post this I wanted your help identifying a type of flaw on the lead-in groove of a new record I just bought. It doesn't affect playback because it is only on the lead-in groove before the music starts but this record costed me quite a bit and I would like to identify what kind of flaw it is and if it is a flaw originally from the pressing plant during the pressing stage or man made. The record was not sealed but it was technically new and never played according to the listing on discogs. Can anyone identify this flaw shown on these pics below? It's a really ugly flaw on the vinyl. Any of you know if something like this is repairable? Perhaps gently sanding or a different method? Just annoys me the rest of the vinyl is beautiful and really pretty if not for this small flaw it would be a clean copy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snakeheadfishlab

Re: Hi. New member. Vinyl flaw question

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:18 am

Almost looks like too much heat or a corrosive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mischmerz

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:44 pm

Almost looks as if somebody with DEET (mosquito repellent) on the hands touched it. This stuff is deadly to anything vinyl.

m.

mossboss

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:49 am

That's most likely a bit of paper that found its way in the hopper with the compound. Either from the bag containing the raw material or a little bit left from a label before it was ground up. Some times regrouped material has bits of paper from labels not punched out clean enough.
In this case It has come through the surface, sometimes inclusions are below the playing area, although visible they don't effect the sound. In this case it's through. I'd leave it alone as any attempt to fix it will make it worst.
Best.
Chris