Contract disk cutting for pressing plants.

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Maistrow

Contract disk cutting for pressing plants.

Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:39 am

Does anyone here do contract disk cutting for pressing plants? If so, what are some of the benefits or pitfalls, such as receiving poor mixes to work with and then have to remaster the tracks on your time so that they will cut correctly to disk. If so, would that be an extra studio charge to the artist, group or plant? Also, when making creative adjustments to their music, who approves the work you did and if the artist can't hear it until they get a test pressing and then reject the work you did, would you then be responsible for a new revision? and then have to pay for new lacquer masters, stampers and test pressings out of your pocket? Does the pressing plant provide you with blank lacquer disks? I understand that most pressing plants expect a reduced rate for disk cutting, but the on the positive side they can provide you with a lot of work.

Just wondering.
Maistrow

Aussie0zborn

Re: Contract disk cutting for pressing plants.

Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:21 am

It's pretty simple... you set up your own business and run your own show. Whoever likes you uses you.

TomA

Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:11 pm

These are excellent questions and I'm curious to see some substantial responses. As I understand it, there are few actual working disc cutting lathes, whether lacquer or DMM, in the world; which portends that not all pressing-plants have in-house, mastering/final-stamper production capabilities. As I'm new to the art & techniques of disc cutting, the above comments are my interim perspective. Cheers.

Maistrow

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:39 pm

Thank you for the input, but perhaps there may still be some issues that I have described above that could be potential problems. Any other suggestions would be helpful and PM me if you wish.

Thanks,
Maistrow