The PM-SC99 (The poorman's SC99, my first homemade head)

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Self-lather

The PM-SC99 (The poorman's SC99, my first homemade head)

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Here's my first attempt at making a cutting head. I nearly fell out of my seat when I realized it was working. I've only tried it on my Recordette recording to solo plates, but I have some acetate plates on the way, and I plan on doing some further testing once I get those. I also plan on replacing most the wood parts with metal, and cleaning up the mechanics of it a bit. Eventually, I'll get some wire to heat the stylus properly. Surprisingly, it sounds more 'hifi' than the head that came on the Recordette.

Feel free to comment.

-Thomas

nickripley

Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:17 am

You're my HERO!!!!!! EXCELLENT work!! If you made that and get a good sound out of it, then more power to you. Keep posting on here. I am very curious to see the development of this.
http://kenedikrecords.com/ mixtapes-music-loudness

MEGAMIKE

Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:14 pm

wow... and stereo too.......
i did one but mono, and i poped the speaker outwards and glued a knitting needle to it...(bad sound)
is there a differance with magnet and speaker .are they just as good as each other...?....

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:14 pm

dang. stereo. amazing.

Self-lather

Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:35 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words. I'll keep posting as things progress.

Not sure about your question MegaMike. The speakers are identical, and I pulled them out of a set of PC desk speakers. Definitely nothing special about them, but they get the job done. If I can get all the problems worked out with this one, I'll probably try to build a more hifi version with better speakers and parts. Let me know and I'll try to clarify if you need more info.

My next step is to build a spring mechanism of sorts to help with the weight of the head on the surface of the plate. Right now it is a tad to heavy and works much better when I manually adjust the weight of the head just by controlling it with my finger.

I also want to install some sort of suction tube for the excess chip.

More to come..!

-Thomas

buckettovsissors

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:26 am

Are you still using the lead screw?

Self-lather

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:15 am

Yes, I am still using the lead screw on the Recordette. It's not engaged in the picture I posted of it attached the the arm, but I used it when recordng. It's not ideal because of the weight of the new head, but it works, and will work better once I figure out a solution to control the weight of the head.

-Thomas

cuttercollector

Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:17 pm

Hang some very heavy adjustable weight behind the arm pivot.
One issue will be that it will not stay in the up locked record position if it weighs too much altogether.

This excersize reminds me totally of something I did when I was young.
Mine didn't ever really work, but I had a 2 arm recordette mechanism and I took 2, 2 3/4" transistor radio speakers mounted at 45 degrees to each other on a piece of bent aluminum, 2 thin flat metal diapragms from some old magnetic earphones attached to the faces (they had very flat cones) and a sort of "Y" stylus holder made from heavy wire (like maybe a coat hanger only thicker?) soldered to the metal plates with the ends just protruding through the 2 holes I had drilled in the center of the plates. The stylus attached to the bottom somehow.
The big issues were 1. the arm did not raise up at the back, so the whole assembly was kludged to the front of the record arm in the wrong position at the wrong angle. and 2. I didn't make any sort of stiffener/drag wire assembly to keep ths stylus in one place fore and aft. And it was too heavy. It did move the stylus with the audio, but just dug in to the lacquer and scudded along, eventually ripping itself apart. I thought I might have heard a TINY bit of recorded audio in the playback but I could never be sure. :)

flozki

Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:32 pm

congratulations....
i think you can go pretty good with that kind of design.
actually the vinylrecorder is nothing else than 2 hf tweeters....

i did it once with 2 graditent hf tweeters..the sound was great...for what it costs..

so for under $100 you get a nice head...

it just becomes much more difficult with feedback...
waiting for the low cost stereo head... i didnt found the solution yet.

f.

[img]http://www.floka.com/lofi/pict/LC001f.jpg[/img]

Self-lather

Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks Flo. I actually used your lofi cutter head designs as a model for this cutting head. I basically built this thing from every picture/diagram I could find of a cutting head on the internet.. which isn't much.

When you say the 'Vinyl Recorder' head, do you mean the one available from vinylrecorder.com, or the one from vinylium? They both look similar.

-Thomas

lester

Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:37 pm

i cannot speak for Flo, but i'm pretty sure he means vinylrecorder.com as the otherone is the kingston cutter wich is designed to cut lacquer and not pvc...If i remember right the kingston is also a feedback head.
we're all analog men in a digital world :-)

flozki

Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:13 am

yes i am talking about
the vinylrecorder. his design is basically 2 hf tweeters. no feedback same as you did just a little better mechanics.... no wood. better tweeters

the vinylium "kingston" dubplatecutter
uses a much better head. the sc-99 . very simmilar to the neumann sx74. almost same design. principle. feedback and all that "schnick-schnack"

what kind of loudspeakers are you using.

i am always interested how low-tech you can go for great sound..hehe
f.

MEGAMIKE

Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 pm

please explain difference between sc99 and vinylrecorder.... :)

flozki

Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:28 pm

aaammm.i think i tried already in my last two posts... hmm. i try once again..

vinyrecorder. is a cutterhead approximately same as shown in the beginning of the post. in sense of the way how it is constructed..
2 high frequency speakers linked. voila.
no feedback.. that means no correction of the movement. no control over resonance frequencies....
all the older mono heads like presto, rca, audax ....are non feedback heads.

sc-99 is not made with loudspeakers. same principle as the neumann sx68/74 heads.
i guess there are many other post in this forum explaining it....what it means.. also some pictures in a few post i think...
somewhere was a picture form the aes article about the westrex head. that will explain it even better.

so read the old posts... should all be written down somewhere.
f.

[/img]

Self-lather

Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:42 pm

Good idea Cuttercollector. So simple I failed to think of it. haha.

The head you created does sound a lot in design like the one I built. I took some measurements to make sure when I built the head that it would cut at the correct angle with the lead screw engaged on the Recordette.

I also had the same problem of the head digging into the surface, but this seemed to go away after I played with manually adjusting the weight. Hopefully I can find a good ''balance" of sort to get it working smoothly.

-Thomas
cuttercollector wrote:Hang some very heavy adjustable weight behind the arm pivot.
One issue will be that it will not stay in the up locked record position if it weighs too much altogether.

This excersize reminds me totally of something I did when I was young.
Mine didn't ever really work, but I had a 2 arm recordette mechanism and I took 2, 2 3/4" transistor radio speakers mounted at 45 degrees to each other on a piece of bent aluminum, 2 thin flat metal diapragms from some old magnetic earphones attached to the faces (they had very flat cones) and a sort of "Y" stylus holder made from heavy wire (like maybe a coat hanger only thicker?) soldered to the metal plates with the ends just protruding through the 2 holes I had drilled in the center of the plates. The stylus attached to the bottom somehow.
The big issues were 1. the arm did not raise up at the back, so the whole assembly was kludged to the front of the record arm in the wrong position at the wrong angle. and 2. I didn't make any sort of stiffener/drag wire assembly to keep ths stylus in one place fore and aft. And it was too heavy. It did move the stylus with the audio, but just dug in to the lacquer and scudded along, eventually ripping itself apart. I thought I might have heard a TINY bit of recorded audio in the playback but I could never be sure. :)

motorino

Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:21 pm

:D

compare one vinylrecorder cutterhead with a sc99 vinylium is like comparing a Trabant with a Porsche

sc99 its a profesional cutterhead :wink:

and i have one Trabant!!
Marcos

MEGAMIKE

Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:08 pm

iam still confused....
i have cut with presto and neumann and souri head sounds better..
mybe i was not experanced before but all sounds the same.....
and why kingston dont cut polycarbonate.... :)

motorino

Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:58 am

its a joke?
Marcos

jacques artifex

Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:13 am

Souri make a great work, if you have the complete system you could have Feedback.see http://www.vinylrecorder.com/order.html
For have a great sound it depends of the mastering.
In cut we trust

flozki

Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:59 am

hei no religious war here... no setcs in this forum.

1.souri cutters can sound great. no question it just depends on the material you cut and the preprocessing. heavy metal will sound great. a classic record maybe not. i dont know, because i dont have the experience...

2. you can cut with kingston cutter on polycarbonate,pvc.... even into copper.
just need the right stylus and a better turntable... so go for diamond stylus and a technics sp2,sp10.....

anyway
we should stay technical..

the topic is building a low cost cutter head out of ordinary loudspeakers.
so for $20-100 you can get incredible sound.
but you will find very fast the limits. because there is no feedback.
now you can equalize out some of the cutterheads errors
you can damp some of the resonances with mechanical tricks..

but i am very curious how to get the most sound with little money...
so get some hotglue.some hf-speakers and post pictures, results,experience, sounds.......